Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,258   Online: 1053

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can also use plastic (like pvc, or something similar) rods, available from plumbing or plastic suppliers. The rods are used for welding plastic pipe, etc when they don't want to, or can't glue. I made a dip rod with some gray plastic rod about 4mm - 5mm in diameter, for my 4 reel Kinderman tank, after the disk on the end of the one supplied broke off. I just used a heat gun to soften the rod, bending a 90 degree angle, then doubled it back. Has worked like a charm for 20 some years.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you use stainless steel, you need the chemically resistant variety. This would be type 316, and NOT type 417 which rusts. Type 417 is what is used by sink manufacturers (other than Leedal and maybe others that make stuff that is resistant to darkroom chemicals.)

A.T.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stainless steel needs to be passivated to resist corrosion.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you need a specific kind of material and size (and it sounds like you do) McMaster-Carr or Small Parts will usually have what you need. It will surely be more expensive than if you can find repurpose some household material, but they are a good sites to bookmark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look for 304 over 316 if you can find it. I would consider calling a few Metal Supermarkets (that is indeed what they are called). Small quanity metal sales around the GTA.

After that, consider sweet talking the local scrap yard, if you can (I used to, but that was some 30 years ago, and my dad sold and bought all sorts of scrap iron from a foundry he managed with them).
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ....Lots of awesome info here...thanks guys. Looks like I have some phone calls and emails to make.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    why does it have to be rigid....just a long plastic ziptie???? something like that?...or you can get plastic rods I"m thinking.....pvc pipe!!!???
    My technique requires it to be rigid with little bending. I raise up the rod with the reels at a 90 degree angle out of the tank and back in after draining. My method of agitation requires it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Look for 304 over 316 if you can find it. I would consider calling a few Metal Supermarkets (that is indeed what they are called). Small quanity metal sales around the GTA.

After that, consider sweet talking the local scrap yard, if you can (I used to, but that was some 30 years ago, and my dad sold and bought all sorts of scrap iron from a foundry he managed with them).
    Looked into it Mike....I think I found what I'm looking for (304 Stainless steel, .125 inch round?). But for 4 14inch pieces it was $16 (not bad), then $40 shipping (very bad), but I'll look into it locally as I just remembered there's metalworks just down the road from me. Do you know what the thickness would be for rods to hold 5 reels, but still be able to bend for an end piece and handle? I guessed at .114 (2.9mm) because it's a little thicker than a coat hanger (0.081 - 2mm), but .125 was the smallest I could order from www.metalsupermarkets.com in the GTA.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Try McMaster. Or Amazon (they own Small Parts). They both have .125" 304 in 60-72" lengths for less than $8. Shipping shouldn't be too bad either. They also have 316 if you want that. And other size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    Try McMaster. Or Amazon (they own Small Parts). They both have .125" 304 in 60-72" lengths for less than $8. Shipping shouldn't be too bad either. They also have 316 if you want that. And other size.
    Amazon won't ship it and McMaster is requiring a credit card number before they even quote my shipping, which I don't agree with. But I appreciate the advice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin