Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,352   Online: 1138

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DIY Stainless Steel Rods -advice?

I've been to numerous hardware stores in Ontario and have yet to find a good source for what I'm looking for. I need to make 3-4 stainless steel reels to hold and develop 5 rolls in a dip n' dunk tank for film developing. I've bought ceiling wire, stainless steel wire, etc. all a thick enough gage to bend, but strong enough to hold 5 reels. Coat hangers don't work - I need something a little thicker. My problem is that after cleaning the metal of any oil, etc. it rusts the next day. If I don't clean it off, it leaves stuff on my film (I ran a test roll for the hell of it). I have one rod that is perfect and it came with some darkroom gear, but I can't seem to find the same stuff. It seems like a very easy task and I've worked at hardware stores for years, but I can't find anything as good as the original and designated stainless steel rods. Any advice out there? Anyone have extras that I could buy?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try a welding supply. My Wife uses stainless steel rods in 1/16 in. to 1/4 in. for lampworking, They are available art glass suppliers or welding suppliers.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Heavy copper wire might also work.

Shooter
    35mm
    I may be wrong about this, but I think that copper may interfere with the chemistry.

Shooter
    35mm
    You're talking about a dip rod, right? The second sentence sounds like you're going to make some reels! It sounds like you're buying plain steel--you absolutely need to get stainless steel for this job.

I just made a rod for my 2-reel tank yesterday. Stainless steel bicycle spoke: $1.08. I don't know if it would be long enough for 5 reels, though. Before I thought of that, I was going to sacrifice a SS barbecue skewer.If you go that way, make sure it's not just plain steel that's chrome coated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might also try an auto parts store, hobby type shop or hardware store for stainless steel tubing. I know I've seen brass tubing at hardware stores here (not sure if brass will work). I've seen stainless steel at hobby shop.

I was planning to make a dip rod for my Wat-air washer. I think I'll try the bicycle spoke idea.

Even when buying stainless steel, the magnet test is useful. Low quality stainless steel will still stick to a magnet (higher quality ss won't).
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I buy them from http://www.use-enco.com
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Perhaps a marine hardware supply.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Companies that fabricate/repair commercial kitchen equipment can be local sources, or now where to find stainless steel in various sizes.

Also, try:
    McMaster-Carr
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-st...l-rods/=fxn7is

W.W.Grainger
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...N=0&sst=subset

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've bought from these folks; http://www.onlinemetals.com/ though, nothing for my darkroom so far.

Also, all stainless is not the same, I have a stainless funnel that I got from a kitchen store, and it has a chronic rust spot after after a little DR use.
    The stainless drain assembly I had rusted hopelessly in about 1 year of DR use though the stainless sink has been fine. I replaced the drain with a plastic one from the big box home center.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin