Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,635   Online: 866

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a 400w metal halide floodlight. (as would be used in a gymnasium or warehouse). It was a freebie from an electrician friend. They regularly sell for less than shipping cost if you bought one used online.

Having a non-sun source is good for evening work of course, and for repeatability.

You should be able to get blacklight bulbs from lowes/home depot as well for your contact printing light if you want to go that route.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I have an antique light box - it presently contains about 16 regular light bulbs in it (3 of them are red).
    I am assuming it was used for viewing but here's my question...
    Can I put in UV bulbs instead of what's there and use it for exposing?
    I don't want to blow it up and know nothing about electricity (nor can I afford a UV light source other than the sun and that's hard to come by in February).
    Help?
    If the box allows individual or partial by group control your light box might actually be a contact printer.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    No, but I thought originally it was a contact printer because it has a timer on it. Its just that there are all those bulbs (reg 60w) that all come on at the same time. That's why I inquired. If it is a contact printer then I need the blacklight....right? Regular bulbs would take for ever - or not work at all.
    Going to test it out tonight...just had to get my hands on some supplies.
    APUG is great - thanks to everyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing you might think of is that florescent bulbs don't like being turned off and on a lot. Once they warm up, you might just want to leave them on for the duration of the print session. They don't consume a lot of electricity. I just got done building a light box with some black lights I got from Ebay.
    http://www.amazon.com/24-Black-Light...=5336612507-20

I'm going to test it next weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin