Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,952   Online: 968

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Convert to UV light box?

I have an antique light box - it presently contains about 16 regular light bulbs in it (3 of them are red).
    I am assuming it was used for viewing but here's my question...
    Can I put in UV bulbs instead of what's there and use it for exposing?
    I don't want to blow it up and know nothing about electricity (nor can I afford a UV light source other than the sun and that's hard to come by in February).
    Help?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a look at this.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-SL20-B...ref=pd_cp_hi_0

I would buy only one and run a test first before sinking money on more bulbs to fill a light box.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks!
    Are you suggesting that one would be enough to expose say an 8x10 contact print? I think that I'm misunderstanding you....how would I test it? Or do you mean just to see if it fits/works at all?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dawn,

You haven't given too much information. I have a UV light box purchased from Bostick and Sullivan that I use for pt/pd printing. It takes eight blacklight bulbs that are like small fluorescent tubes. It has a fan and can handle up to 11x14. If you don't get the info you want here try calling them (Santa Fe, NM). They are very helpful.

Good luck.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

No I'm not saying that

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Thanks!
    Are you suggesting that one would be enough to expose say an 8x10 contact print? I think that I'm misunderstanding you....how would I test it? Or do you mean just to see if it fits/works at all?
    Hi Dawn,
    I'm saying that buy one, run a test with the one bulb on a small test print no bigger than 4x5 inches couple inches away and see if it will work. It wouldn't be prudent to buy a dozen and find out it doesn't work. Put your toes in the water before diving in I say.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Others have built UV boxes around those types of bulbs. I have recently seen a price of about $75 for a dozen of them. Home Depot, I think. They would just screw into a regular light socket.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I constructed myself an UV box a few months back, with the help of Loris from APUG. The thing about the bulb is you are looking for a BL365 ( Blacklikght in365 nm wavelength ). The bulb from the amazon says it is for ambient lighting and it is purple. BL365 bulbs produce blue blacklight. It is UV-A light and it is hazardous to stare at them or being exposed to them for long.

This one suits your needs. Look for the wavelength, BL365
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/52...ent_Lamps.html

Regular light bulbs are E27 socket and I don't think you can blow it up buy using these bulbs. They are usually 20W bulbs, but check your current bulbs Watt in the light box to make sure.

Edit:
    BTW mosquito trap bulbs might work too. They are BL350.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Dawn,

What exactly does your antique light box look like? If you put anywhere from 5 to 16 curley-cue black-light bulbs in, you'll be doing great. Even 2-3 will work, but it'll mean longer exposures.

If the light box can accomodate 16 tungsten bulbs, it will accommodate compact fluorescents with ease.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, will give it a try!

Shooter
    35mm
    Great info, thanks! Will look it up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin