Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,219   Online: 968

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I run a small storefront shop (not cameras, but we do extensive repairs) and I will tell you that we do pay attention to who the good customers are, and THEY are the ones most likely to receive the most favorable deals. The ones who have no loyalty, or "go away to think", not so much... And, yes, a few are outright banned, although we don't tell them that to their face, they just will find that their money isn't good in our shop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Loyalty is a two way street. I too agree that if a salesman, regardless of the product, spends considerable time with you, you owe them first shot at the sale. On the other hand, prices are often arbitrary. The owner can vary his markups. The owner should be willing to adjust his profit margins to fit the sale as well. Just because he spent time with you doesn't mean he can overcharge you either. If his price is considerably more than you can get elsewhere, he should be willing to be flexible. That's only smart business sense. There's nothing wrong with a purchaser asking the owner to do better than the ticket price. If I'm a regular customer, I would expect them to do that and they would be smart to work it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Back in the 80's the owner of quite a decent camera shop told me a story about one pontential customer wanting a complete 35mm camera outfit. Brian spent quite a long time (hours) going through 2 or 3 alternative systems over a few visits to the shop, he knew the customer slightly so was happy to help and he offered reasonable deals. The customer went away to think.

Next time the customer went into the shop he thanked Brian for all his help and said he'd acted on his advice, he'd been able to buy what he wanted at a discount mail order shop saving a bit more money. Brian banned him from ever entering his shop again.

Ian
    They not only do what you describe Ian, but after they've bought the equipment elsewhere after wasting several hours of your time they come back to the shop with it and ask you to show them how to use it as if by divine right, and then can't understand why you're rude to them
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    They not only do what you describe Ian, but after they've bought the equipment elsewhere after wasting several hours of your time they come back to the shop with it and ask you to show them how to use it as if by divine right, and then can't understand why you're rude to them
    The shop I was referring to had enough in the end of customers like that and Brian decided to retire and just close down, chances are you dealt with him in the 60's when he was involved in importing one of th major brands

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The fact is that many people think that shops only reason for existence is for them to take advantage of and are completely bewildered because they can't understand and don't realize what they are doing wrong and why the shop staff become antagonistic when they have wasted their time, picked their brains, and bought the equipment somewhere else.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My local store in AU are extremely helpful and go out of their way to accommodate my requests - to the extent of buying in bricks of 120 film they don't keep on the shelves.

My original comments were directed more towards the wholesalers - if they won't go the extra mile to ensure customer satisfaction, and that can vary from enquiring further (per a request) to organising to get an order specially, how in the world can the stores we continue to support, stay in business?

I'll be honest - any product that the wholesaler deals in, I truly think 2 or 3 times before purchasing, simply because they have *no* inclination to assist me, in any way possible.

Sadly, this means they've missed out on $10k of my cold hard cash; their lack of Grey Import support, I couldn't care less about. . . . . .

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I tried the local shop and while I was searching for a filter he walked outside and lit a cigarette. I found one I wanted and walked over to the counter. He continued to smoke and ignored me for 'bout 5 minutes while he talked with some workmen. I finally returned the filter to the shelf and walked out. As I walked away he asked" couldn't find one?" I just shrugged and left. Drove 70 miles to the next closest shop and bought what I needed. I give ya a chance but damn.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another horror story from them. I know the distributor you are referring to, and this behaviour from them is very common as a way of protecting their territory and reputation (from what I don't know), rather than legitimately servicing customers owning equipment to which they are also obliged to service by the manufacturer (irrespective of whether it is new or obsolete).

I heartily recommend on-line shopping, particularly from overseas, and stuff the Australian distributors. If that remark gets their blood boiling, good for them. They've had ample time to lift their game and compete. Online retailers will also service equipment returned to them, or exchange it, as has recently happened to me with eBay on two occasions. No troubles at all.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Another horror story from them. I know the distributor you are referring to, and this behaviour from them is very common as a way of protecting their territory and reputation (from what I don't know), rather than legitimately servicing customers owning equipment to which they are also obliged to service by the manufacturer (irrespective of whether it is new or obsolete).

I heartily recommend on-line shopping, particularly from overseas, and stuff the Australian distributors. If that remark gets their blood boiling, good for them. They've had ample time to lift their game and compete. Online retailers will also service equipment returned to them, or exchange it, as has recently happened to me with eBay on two occasions. No troubles at all.
    Makes you wonder what "reputation" they're actually trying to protect. . . . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    Makes you wonder what "reputation" they're actually trying to protect. . . . . .
    Yes, it makes me wonder some times as well - and as much as they are not allowed to, I have heard they have been known to hold their retailers to ransom, even on certain product lines that they DONT supply themselves.

As for the guys at TPS - they are the polar opposite. They are an example of the good in customer service.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin