Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,990   Posts: 1,633,079   Online: 835

Shooter
    Multi Format

Various noob questions about enlarging.

G'day APUGers,

I bought a Durst M370BW enlarger a while back, and now that my darkroom is almost 'dark', I feel that I should learn how to use it!

The enlarger came with the 35mm mask, which is fine, as I use my Nikon F5 with various B&W films a fair bit. The enlarger came with an 11x14" easel as well. Here are some questions, if you don't mind:

1. For people that have used this enlarger before, what's the maximum sized print you can make? (Assuming using a 645 negative with the appropriate Sivopar 45 masks etc). I see that the enlarger can 'swivel', such that the print can be made on the floor, instead of on the easel board.

2. The enlarger came with a 50mm Nikkor enlarging lens (for 35mm). If I want to do the maximum sized prints capable with this enlarger from both 35mm and 645, will the 80mm lens be long enough?

I think that's it for now

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For 645, the 80mm should be fine. I've only done 11x14 with mine (I've used a 150mm on a different enlarger to do 16x20) and it works well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jars121 View Post
    If I want to do the maximum sized prints capable with this enlarger from both 35mm and 645, will the 80mm lens be long enough?

I think that's it for now

Thanks!
    You will have to swap lenses to get the maximum size on the baseboard with each format.
    Your baseboard is about 18" across, right? So we are talking 11x14 max. The problem with a 16x20 easel is that the column will likely get in the way (that is why some of the bigger enlargers have the tilted columns). The currently available lenses that would maximize your baseboard enlargement size you could use the Schneider APO-Componon 60mm for your 6x4.5 and the Schneider APO-Componon 40mm for 35mm. Those are very expensive lenses and would be overkill based on your baseboard dimensions.

If I were you I'd look for a an inexpensive 4 or 5 element 75 or 80mm lens for moderate size enlargements. Don't pay more than $40 for one. Someone out there probably has one in a drawer waiting for you. (Nikkor or Omegaron 75mm f4 for example)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take if off the baseboard (or reverse mount) and project image on the floor!
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You will have to swap lenses to get the maximum size on the baseboard with each format.
    Your baseboard is about 18" across, right? So we are talking 11x14 max. The problem with a 16x20 easel is that the column will likely get in the way (that is why some of the bigger enlargers have the tilted columns). The currently available lenses that would maximize your baseboard enlargement size you could use the Schneider APO-Componon 60mm for your 6x4.5 and the Schneider APO-Componon 40mm for 35mm. Those are very expensive lenses and would be overkill based on your baseboard dimensions.

If I were you I'd look for a an inexpensive 4 or 5 element 75 or 80mm lens for moderate size enlargements. Don't pay more than $40 for one. Someone out there probably has one in a drawer waiting for you. (Nikkor or Omegaron 75mm f4 for example)
    Cheers mate, I meant to ask about the various lens options!

Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    Take if off the baseboard (or reverse mount) and project image on the floor!
    This is what I had planned on doing. I'll have to play around with the setup when I have a proper desk/table for the enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    1. Yes, taller table too.

2. Shorter lenses can make bigger prints but, shorter lenses can't always see the whole negative.

Typically a 50mm lens focuses at a point where it is too close to be able "see" the outer edges of a MF negative, the lens needs to be able to focus at a point farther away from the negative.

An 80mm lens focuses at a point 30mm farther from the negative so it can "see" that bigger area. The bigger the negative the longer the lens required just to "cover" the film. A 4x5 negative needs maybe a 135mm lens, 5x7 150mm and so on.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jars121 View Post
    G'day APUGers,

I bought a Durst M370BW enlarger
    If this model uses a condenser head, then you would have to change condensers for the appropriate format. If it's a colour model, then I think you can just change mixing boxes. That's how it works on my Durst AC707 BW.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
    If this model uses a condenser head, then you would have to change condensers for the appropriate format. If it's a colour model, then I think you can just change mixing boxes. That's how it works on my Durst AC707 BW.
    I wouldn't have a clue to be honest. I think I have a lot of reading to do before I can start messing around with different formats! My office will be light-tight by the end of the day, and I plan on getting chemicals tomorrow. I'll try some 35mm enlargements in the next couple of days and let you know how I get on!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin