Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,673   Online: 793

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you look or ask around you may find some lens turrets from old roll head printers. Most labs just scrapped the lot yet a turret may have 6 or 7 lenses fitted. A few years ago I was given a ouple of these turrets fitted with Componon & Componon S lenses ranging in FL from 50mm through to 150mm all in excellent condition. (Unfortunately for the OP I gave away all the spares at the time here on APUG).

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think my 150mm f:4.0 Apo-Componon was around $350 used maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and it would be hard to find a better enlarging lens for 4x5".
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed, there are probably some really good used lenses out there. Regarding ebay though, in general I hate ebay. It's useless until the last nanosecond, at least for anything in excellent condition. I don't have time to be glued to ebay trying to get a deal on something.

Anyhow I just thought it was curious this Helix place was selling new Schneiders at such a discount, and even more curious they had new 150mm EL Nikkors for sale, given these haven't been manufactured in 7 or 8 years.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's been my experience that getting something used is not always the best way to go, especially from ebay, often, you get what you pay for and I realize that there are times when you get a great deal on something used. However there are some things, just some, that I will drop the extra bucks for to have new. At the time I bought my 150mm Schneider Componon-S, there was nothing offered from anyone here at APUG, which I would have more of a tendency to accept their assessment of condition, especially if that person were a prominent member. So, I purchased new and have not regretted it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The darkroom department at Helix has been dramatically reduced in recent years. They probably still have some traffic from students taking darkroom courses. You should just call or email them to find out the current status. Never know they may have some old stock left and want to move it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only bought used for enlarger lenses. I've had El-Nikkor and Componon-S on my MF enlarger. On my 4x5, I only have a Nikon 135mm which does quality work, but it only has full-stop clicks. Schneider probably does half stop clicks; a handy option for some people. The Schneider componon-s likely has an illuminated aperture dial as well. Something I find quite handy on the smaller enlarger. Again just a convenience easily replicated with a red-led flashlight.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    schneider ,rodenstock, nikon... never noticed a difference all: top-quality stuff. isettled on nikon for large format and the darkroom.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin