Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,344   Online: 1143

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

150mm enlarging lenses

I'm looking into a new 150mm enlarging lens. So obviously, there's Schneider and Rodenstock. The Schneider Componon S and Rodenstock Rodagon are of equal quality and in reality I don't see much point in arguing between the two. The Schneider is approx $100 cheaper (typically around $650 new) than the Rodenstock so I figure I'll probably end up with the Schneider. But here are some curious findings after spending some time looking for prices on line.

First, this place Helix Photo (never heard of it before) is selling the Schneider 150 Componon S for about $200 less than anywhere else:

http://www.helixphoto.com/Darkroom/L...Schneider.html

Why? What is going on here?

Second, Helix Photo is also selling new (?) EL Nikkors. It seems I could actually buy a new EL Nikkor 150mm from these guys. It's about the same price as the Rodenstock but people always rave about how good some of the EL Nikkors were. So again, what is going on here?

http://www.helixphoto.com/Darkroom/L...nikkor150.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why buy a new lens when I can sell you a like new condition Rodagon 150/5.6 for $300 plus shipping.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They're probably selling them cheaper because their sales for those lenses are plummeting due to the lack of demand and the amount of these lenses hitting the used market. Enlarger lenses get very little "wear and tear", so used ones at a huge price cut is an attractive deal. My question would be, "why new?". I searched "schneider 150mm" on ebay and turned up a few hits with a couple days left and the auction is only at $15 and $35 respectively. Both have clean glass and will produce the same results as a new one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I currently have 13 enlarging lenses. Around 2002 I bought 3 brand new Schneiders from B&H. However, in use, there is no difference between those and my older, somewhat hazy or scratched Componons in silver barrels. I put the older silver lenses into use when I got more enlargers, rather than buying more new lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    This may have something to do with the price difference:
    11/6/07 Prices subject to change without notice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should be able to get a good used one for $100-150, tops. If you want to shop around for a bit, you can probably get one for $50- 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    T........... I searched "schneider 150mm" on ebay and turned up a few hits with a couple days left and the auction is only at $15 and $35 respectively...........
    The Devil is in the details. A couple of days left is meaningless, its the last couple of seconds that count. Snipe programs bid at the last seconds trying to avoid running up the price. If you checking epay for prices, check SOLD, its the only thing that counts.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once upon a time, Helix was a major Chicago chain catering to pros & amateurs alike.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sent yu private message with a possible solution to ur problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I'm looking into a new 150mm enlarging lens. So obviously, there's Schneider and Rodenstock. The Schneider Componon S and Rodenstock Rodagon are of equal quality and in reality I don't see much point in arguing between the two. The Schneider is approx $100 cheaper (typically around $650 new) than the Rodenstock so I figure I'll probably end up with the Schneider. But here are some curious findings after spending some time looking for prices on line.

First, this place Helix Photo (never heard of it before) is selling the Schneider 150 Componon S for about $200 less than anywhere else:

http://www.helixphoto.com/Darkroom/L...Schneider.html

Why? What is going on here?

Second, Helix Photo is also selling new (?) EL Nikkors. It seems I could actually buy a new EL Nikkor 150mm from these guys. It's about the same price as the Rodenstock but people always rave about how good some of the EL Nikkors were. So again, what is going on here?

http://www.helixphoto.com/Darkroom/L...nikkor150.html
    the newel nikors are just perfect in my opinion. i use them in all formats.any bit as good as their name brand competition.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin