Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,389   Online: 670

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Gralab 171 timer

I have a new gralab 171 timer. I wonder if there's a way of advancing minutes without tediously cranking the knob. Do I have to turn the knob 60x to time something for an hour? It's tedious. I remember some Graylab timers you can advance the minutes just by moving the minute hand. Do I just have the wrong model for that feature?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The knob controls the second hand, the minute hand is L shaped at the tip and not controled by the knob. Instead, you just push or grab that L shape tip and rotate to the minutes you need. Unless I am misunderstanding your problem, this should work.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With my model, you can advance the minute hand by turning the second knob. It advances one minute per one full turn of the knob. I advanced the minute hand, the one with the hook and it seems not to advance the minutes. I remember when I worked at a university photo lab, I could start the clock without turning the knob, and by advancing the hooked minute hand. Oh well, I think it's just that model. Thanks for the response!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless they changed it, it just has a loose screw. Look behind the second hand knob, you should see a set screw on the minute hand, its probably loose.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a 171. I actually prefer it (for film processing) to a 300 because it has the water proof switches and a white face. But, in practice, it operates just like the 300. Fotch is probably correct, or you got a defective unit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks! I got a defective unit Got it on Ebay. Thought I got a good deal, not so now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the 171 I think... I put it up on the shelf and bought a model 450 instead. I like being able to repeat the exposure time by hitting the button instead of fumbling with the arms.

If you want it, let me know. I bought it for $25 on ebay, I'll pass it on to you for the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey thanks for the generous offer. Lately, I've not had any luck with Gralab timers. I bought one that I thought was a 15 minute timer, but it was a 15 hour timer My fault, should have done my research. Right now I have two and it's too many. I'll have to put that one on eBay first.
    Best,
    Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don, if I may ask, why were you looking for a 15m timer? I have a Gralab one, never used it. Just wondereing if it has more of a purpose than I know of. TY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure. I just want a timer so I can time my paper in developer for about 2 minutes. I have a regular clock with a second hand which I use now. Sometimes I'd space out and forgot when I put the paper in the developer. fortunately, paper in developer is fairly forgiving and I use my eye also. I'd also use a 15 minute timer because that's the longest I'll wash my FB paper after HCA.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin