Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,527   Posts: 1,543,946   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Alternatives to Tray Development

I have a small, dry home DR and don't have room for (3) 11x14 inch trays. In the past I have single tray processed but don't feel that is the best solution. The last two days I used a Unidrum II with Uniroller. I develop my test strips in 5x7 trays and then use the drum for the 11x14. Does anyone else use a drum or tubes vs tray develop. Is there something better than the Unidrum solution?
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Cibachrome Mark II tubes work very well for me with RC paper.

I have even used them for the postcard exchange!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many of us use the Nova tanks for colour work but they are just as good for B&W. Much quicker than using a tube or rotary tank.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Richard,

Trays can be stacked vertically if you have room for a little stand. There was an example in the "Darkroom Portraits" section sometime during the last few months. Years ago you could purchase a wire rack frame from B&H, but it would be easy to build something yourself.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Nova processors are great, though on this side of the pond you have to be patient in finding one, or else be prepared for a big investment to get one from the UK.
    Aside from the fact that they put 3 11x14 trays in the foot print of one, the floating lids mean you can go from walking into your DR to printing in maybe 1 minute.

I found using tubes for B&W frustrating and slow. The racks work well, but I like the Nova better for most thngs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote here for Nova processors + they work just as well for FB as RC.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Images
    Good Morning, Richard,

Drums work fine for print development. The drawback is that you need to be sure that the drum is thoroughly washed out after each print is processed. I suppose that a very small amount of fixer left over would probably not be too harmful, especially if you use a generous amount of developer, but I would err on the side of caution. If you need to make more than a quick print or two, tray processing is a lot less nuisance. I'd follow Neal's advice and try to stack trays if possible.

Konical

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Neal, I failed to mention my DR is unvented. No problematic fumes using 5x7 up to 8x10 trays. I do notice the fumes using 11x14 trays. I use a water stop except with 11x14s which are processed in a weak acid stop.

How much chemistry does a Nova tank need to process a 11x14? How do you ensure consistent developer activity (oxidation) after a day or two? Don't you have a cleaning problem with a slot processor? How hard are they to drain if you have to carry it to a sink? Doesn't Jobo have a drum/tube processor for prints? I know they have one for film.

Using the Unidrum I discovered 4 oz of LPD mixed 1:2 will develop (2) 11x14s. When I developed the third 11x14 you need to add factoral development (20 to 40 sec) to make a 100% match to the first print.

I probably will just toss the developer and mix new on the 3rd 11x14.

I tray wash the fiber prints restricting the number produced in one DR session. My process is to perform test strips in one DR session. The next day I pull a few 11x14s using the Unidrum. I tried this for the 3rd time last night. Its a slow work-around to not having a full DR but works. My DR session is 1 to 2 hours.

Its a disadvantage to not see the print develop but the drum has offsetting advantages.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 02-13-2012 at 11:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Are tubes the equivalent to a Unidrum? To avoid having a 11x14 overlap you need a diameter of about 12 inches; I assume a drum is the same thing as a tube.

I just looked up a Nova Processor: The site identifies the unit as a RC print processor. I'm developing fiber. Also, to process 11x14s I need the larger unit.

•16x12in, Unit Dimensions (Inc taps)
    L45xW14xH36cm, Capacity 1.8litres solution per slot

The capacity required would make it heavy to move. I don't see how the chems would keep. The Unidrum type solution seems more a fit.

I believe I can wash out the drum easier than a tray between processing.....the drum fits in the kitchen sink easier. I use the fill and dump method for cleaning. Three drums/tubes would not be easier. It takes time to carefully remove the wet paper from a drum.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 02-13-2012 at 11:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Is the Jobo CPE portable?

After I looked up the Nova processor I Googled Jobo. I forgot Jobo was more than just a film processor. I have seen them. At the time thought they were way expensive and complicated. Why would anyone want one.

But looking now, it is contained with what seems to be a small foot print. Would it be easy to move a CPE steps away from storage to the top of a Maytag washing machine. My dry DR is a laundry room with trays/Unidrum on top of a washing machine?
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 02-13-2012 at 02:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin