Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,219   Online: 791

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 35mm enlarger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enlargers built for medium format will usually be much sturdier. All the component parts will be beefier to handle the larger parts, from the head, column, and the baseboard. This all results in a more stable platform that will be less affected by vibration and will stay aligned more consistently (though any and all enlargers do go out of alignment with use or improper setup).

If you can get away with it, go for the medium format option. I find the smaller 35mm only enlargers are just a bit too flimsy in construction and component parts that may not last with repeated use and may cost more money and cause frustration in the long run.

Also, some medium format enlargers such as the LPL/Saunders allow for the column to be disconnected easily without tools (originally designed as lift and rotate for floor projection) and stored separately from baseboard which makes it much more compact for storage.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry M View Post
    High quality construction? Parts available?
    Parts? Well there's a basic one on the auction site now for a buck plus shipping. High quality? Yes. Fully alignable? No. Leitz are better for that I think. Small? Yes. It will disappear into small space. An Omega B will not. 11x14 with 50mm? Yes. Cranked to the top (it stops) puts the negative 27 inches above baseboard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill,
    I took a look at the auction item. It's a Euro model( if we are looking at the same one), 240 volts. Maybe use a step up transformer with it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While not 35mm only, Omega C-700 is sturdy, light weight and portable for non-permanent use, and currently manufactured. I have three of them remaining in my stocks, and they are very accurate quality machines.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    There is one enlarger that is simpler than the Focomat that is as well built - The superbly simple Leitz Valoy - A Valoy was my first 35mm enlarger and one I still miss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    look around for a Ic -- good, reliable, they made a lot. Even if you have to spend a couple hundred, it will be worth it. You want an enlarger at least as good as the quality of the camera...

Another option is the Leitz Veloy -- it looks like a Ic but without the autofocus, a nice neat little enlarger. Uses the same light and lens and lens stage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...-enlarger.html

This is an excellent 35mm enlarger, fits most of your criteria.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've had two Omega B22s, and really liked them. Two models are available: the B22XL has a longer column for bigger enlargements. Unlike some enlargers, the B22 is easily adjustable. This also means it can get out of adjustment. Other basic Omega enlargers are sturdy. I now use an Omega C700 for small negatives. Since Omegas were popular, accessories are available. There are many less common enlargers that usually serve as well as the very best. The heart of an enlarger is the lens. Fine enlarger lenses are inexpensive for patient shoppers. Some original lenses on enlargers aren't nearly as good.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Focomat V35, also called the Leica V35 in later versions is a superb 35mm (or smaller) enlarger, but it is a large and heavy piece of equipment. The baseboard takes up a lot of space. It overhangs the bench in my darkroom! I accquired mine at quite a reasonable price, but they can be expensive. I also use a Durst M601. This is quite compact and very sturdy.The only parts you might need are 35mm inserts and a spare lamp which is the standard 75watt ES. You see spares for Durst on ebay. The laterM605 and M670 are also good, but may take up more space. I would also check the maximum enlargement possible on the baseboard with these units. Most enlargers with a straight column are limited in that way.The V35 base is 54x59cm and it weighs 22kg! The max enlargement on the base is about 38x57cm(15x22.5"). It is certainly one of the finest enlargers produced, and a pleasure to use. If you find one at a good price, and you have space for it, I am sure you would not regret the purchase. I have found myself printing far more often, and with better results since I bought mine.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry M View Post
    Bill,
    I took a look at the auction item. It's a Euro model( if we are looking at the same one), 240 volts. Maybe use a step up transformer with it?
    Or use a travel adapter and change the bulb to 110v

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin