Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,778   Online: 871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durst 138 Fan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Durst 138 Fan

Does anyone know if the Durst 138 external fan blows air into the lamp housing (what I'm assuming), or sucks air out? I need a fan for mine, and I found the vacuum pump for a vacuum easel I have fits in the port, but it only sucks air out. I don't want to over heat the chamber. Since the only bulb I have is 500 watts, I need some fan solution. I could also hook up a small shop vac exhaust port to the enlarger, but then I would lose the use of the shop vac (and I need to clean it).

Also, if anyone has a Durst LaFan for sale that would be even better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have one to check, but I'm willing to bet it sucks the air out.

If it blew in, it would blow air out in your face.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bought a lamp kit form Durst and it states that the air is sucked out the top, this is an after market kit made for the 138 and sold by Durst-pro-USA, they are the one's who bought out the enlarger division of Durst in Italy. So go figure.
    with my 200 watt lamp I had no fan at all and it seemed ok.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    200 watts and 500 watts are very different animals. You definitely need a fan for a 500-watt lamp.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which head do you have? The external LAFAN unit for the CLS 300 and CLS 301 heads blows air in. The internal fan in the CLS1000 head blows air out.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 02-18-2012 at 12:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a 138 with the CLS 300 head (2000 watts). The fan contraption looks has four hoses. Two of them (one on each side of the light housing) blow air and the other 2 draw air away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine is the stander condenser head so that makes a difference I suppose.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Which head do you have? The external LAFAN unit for the CLS 300 and CLS 301 heads blows air in. The internal fan in the CLS1000 head blows air out.
    I guess that was an oversight on my part. I have the condenser head. I am using a Ph/303 500 watt bulb. I wish I could find a large bulb like this for 5x7, but was only 200 watts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    I guess that was an oversight on my part. I have the condenser head. I am using a Ph/303 500 watt bulb. I wish I could find a large bulb like this for 5x7, but was only 200 watts.
    Looks like the LAFAN blower is also used condenser head (pushes air in).

From the 138 Condenser Head Manual:
    With lamps over 250 watts use the heat filter (Order Code LACALO, available separately, see accessories).
    LEFAN 138 blower (available separately, see accessories) must be used with lamps of 300 watts and over. Connect the LAFAN hose to the lamphouse after removing the cover (46).

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have the cls 301 kit for the 138 (head, power supply and LAFAN) but it's sitting in storage since I found a cls 1000. I too wanted to use the LAFAN with my condenser set-up when working with either the 500w or 1000w Durst bulbs. However, the LAFAN plugs into the cls 301 power supply, does not use a standard plug and I'm pretty certain requires 220v. On top of the 138 condenser is a 3" diameter hole for the fan hose. The condenser head is designed for positive pressure - any standard squirrel cage fan will work. Check Mcmaster Carr or just go to glennview in Chicago - he's familiar with the enlarger and has squirrel cage fans and hosing that will work for this application. Positive pressure is great for lamp cooling so long as the intake has a decent dust filter before it. And no, the air does not blow in your face...

I use an old Beseler external fan set-up from the late model universal closed-loop color head. The trickiest part is procuring a gasket or angle ring to mate the end of the hose to the hole on top of the condenser head. Hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin