Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,043   Online: 774

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Which omega enlarger do I have?

I won(and picked up) an enlarger last week on ebay and was hoping someone could tell me exactly which enlarger I won ( sounds pretty stupid huh?) the tag on the chassis says omega simmons universal and I can't find any real information on it?

I am primarily wanting to know about compatibility and parts availability should something break. IS it a d2? d5? or neither?

BTW, I set up my darkroom last weekend and have been having a blast!

The auction I won is below. the seller was awesome and gave me a ton of stuff not listed in the auction and said she would send me more via ups! I can't believe I got all this stuff for next to nothing . All is in perfect condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3847849202

Long live the digital revolution!

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    oh, the seller mentioned sending me a cold head. What exactly is the difference and why would I want/not want to use that instead of a warm head?

Shooter
    Large Format
    It appears that you have an Omega D2 with a three lens turret. The cold light head that she mentions is a diffusion light source as opposed to a condensor light source that many of these enlargers had. Ansel Adams printed with a cold light head enlarger almost exclusively. There are sources for repair parts for these Omegas from at least one source that I know.

Have fun and hope to see some of your prints when you get rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb_z5
    I won(and picked up) an enlarger last week on ebay and was hoping someone could tell me exactly which enlarger I won ( sounds pretty stupid huh?) the tag on the chassis says omega simmons universal and I can't find any real information on it?

I am primarily wanting to know about compatibility and parts availability should something break. IS it a d2? d5? or neither?

BTW, I set up my darkroom last weekend and have been having a blast!

The auction I won is below. the seller was awesome and gave me a ton of stuff not listed in the auction and said she would send me more via ups! I can't believe I got all this stuff for next to nothing . All is in perfect condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3847849202

Long live the digital revolution!

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I remember correctly, Omega/Satter still has parts in stock for this model, this particular type of enlarger was one of their longest selling models in many different configurations, it has been about a year since I looked at one of their catalogs, but if memory serves they still had many parts new in stock for these.

Dave Parker
    Ground Glass Specialties

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't think the three lens turret can be used with the D2. The D2 requires extension cones for lenses longer than 105mm and I don't think the turret will fit it. The condensor head also looks more recent than the D2V head, so I'm suspecting this is of more recent vintage--maybe a D5. E-mail Harry Taylor at www.classic-enlargers.com or post to the forum there, and he'll give you the full story. It's also possibly that this is some sort of hybrid, since lots of Omega parts are interchangeable.

The cold head requires a contrastier neg than the condensor head, but it smooths out grain, dust, and scratches, reducing the need for spotting. I've come to prefer a cold head myself. If it's an old one, you may want to have the tube upgraded to a V54 tube from Aristo (www.aristogrid.com), particularly if you print on VC paper.

In any case, it looks like you've got a great deal. Enjoy!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an Omega D2V at home and this model looks a little newer. Looks very similar to the D5's and D6's (right down to the lens turret) Another source for info is www.photografix.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The lens turret has 50mm, 100mm and 150mm componon-s lenses mounted in it. no cone was included.

Thanks for your quick replies!

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It looks a lot like my d6 but I don't recognize the head, try this link
    http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/index.html

Jurgen

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, it is called something like D6xl Pro Lab.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I believe that you have a D-6. A D-5 does not come standard with the fine focus mechanism that your enlarger has. Remember to remove the lens turret from time to time to clean dust from the rear surfaces of the lenses. If you don't abuse it, it'll last a long time and not need parts. If you need parts, there are still many places to get them from. You also got a great deal! The lenses are worth more than you paid for the whole thing.

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin