Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,400   Online: 812

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Why not a simple curtain made from black cloth inside the door?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a heavy duty corduroy cut into 6~7" strips (the same H and W dimensions as the door). These are then folded in double and tacked or stapled round the perimeter of the inner door face. As the door closes, the baffle butts up against the door jamb and makes it light tight. The trick is to get a material thick enough to offer up some 'resistance' to the frame it sits against. A roll of the same corduroy, rolled up, provides an effective baffle against stray light entering from the bottom of the door. Regards, BLIGHTY.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have extended the door frame inwards by screwing wooden battens along the top and sides of the frame on outside of the frame. These are painted matt black and I will augment them with some 8mm blackout foam supplied by First Call Photographic. To black out the bottom I will install a brush type draught excluder inside the darkroom.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, the white weather stripping is no good. I tried that first as well with bad results. I ended up buying more, in a brown color and a different shape and it works good for me.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Rather than just the corners I put weather striping all around the door on both sides. It ain't pretty, but it is dark and it is in the basement. My wife doesn't entertain there so "pretty" isn't critical. I should add that you can't slam the door. Movement is slow and deliberate, but dark it is. An added benefit is that the seal is pretty air tight so air that would have gone in with the light now has to go through the filter. That dust stops there.

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In addition to the weatherstripping and a threshold I added a curtain of "light blocking" material that drapery manufacuters use to provide room darkening drapes. I sewed velcro patches to the curtain and glued the opposites to the wall to secure the curtain in place when I am printing or loading film.

Todd

Shooter
    Large Format
    I used a prehung exterior door with weather proof tread. It solved all of my door problems, it is light tight and near air tight this allows air in only through the filter not under the door. It was $90.00 at home depot and easy to install.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Images
    I used a Stanley steel exterior door, Home Depot $119. I still had to add some additional weather stripping a couple of the corners because the factory corners were allow some light when the sun directly hit the door area. I am sure as the door ages and from use, the factory weather strip will need some help.
    Cheers,
    Geary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin