Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,850   Online: 841

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Kodak LED safelight, anyone using?

Wondering if anyone is using a Kodak LED safelight? My current 5x7 light is too dark. I either need to buy another one or go a different route. I'd like to know how it compares to other safelights as far as brightness and coverage?
    -Brian R. Beck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't know kodak makes one, but red LEDs are nice!

I've setup a tracklight on my darkroom ceiling and use red screw-in led fixture sorta of like the kodak led safelight, but a little smaller (par-20ish) and much cheaper (deal extreme) Mine only light about a 2-3' area from 5' above the sink. I have five red LED bulbs fixtures lighting the sink area and beside my enlarger. very very bright compared to a 9x12"-ish kodak OC ceiling fixture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using the E27-R8-G from Super Bright LEDs, a 0.7 watt bulb that puts out enough light for my wet side printing. The wavelength is primarily 635nm, and I have found that most paper has a high tolerance for that light.
    Info can be found at the following URLs.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...s%2Fe27-w8.htm

http://www.superbrightleds.com/image...s/E27-x8-G.jpg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm using this 1.2W bulb in amber ( E27-A24-100-DI ):

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...%2FE27-W24.htm

The 100-degree version. Mounted ~ 7' from my trays, I get no fog with Ilford MG IV (rc or fb) in tests up to fifteen minutes. Haven't tried longer than that.

I've been toying with the idea of a track light setup as jp498 mentioned, but my LED activities right now are focused on playing with blue bulbs for pinhole lighting...
    -brian hayden
    http://fed-2.org

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Brian,

The Kodak product is sure to work well. You can be certain there will be no issues with paper fogging. Having said that, while $40 isn't a lot to spend for a safelight, you might consider looking at this model from superbrightleds.com.

E27-x36-G: E27 LED Bulb, 36 LED

Medium Screw Base bulb with 36 LEDs
    120 VAC, 2.6 Watt, 95 Lumen, Indoor/Outdoor with diffuser globe and weatherproof rubber socket seal
    Measures 3.25" overall legnth x 2.36" diameter
    Available in Cool White, Warm White, Blue, Green, Red, Yellow or RGB Color Changing
    Price for each. $9.95

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Roger, this is the one.

I've know people are using other LEDs which would be fine. However, it seems everyone uses something different. I'm not too concerned about the price but was really wanting to know what people thought about the product. I need a light above my 8 foot counter where my trays will be. I really only want this area light as I like the area around my enlarger darker.

Could someone tell me with there current LED light set up how from the light source does the light fall? I would like it to go at least 4 ft so it would light up my counter when mounted at the center. the light would be mounted 4-5 ft above the counter.

Thanks
    -Brian R. Beck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 9' ceilings in my darkroom (aka bathroom), and the paint colour is a light tan.

I have three red LED bulbs in my darkroom. Each is in an adjustable "gooseneck" reflector. Two of them are mounted at about 7' height, on the top of my enlarger column, with one of those being "switched" by the timer. The third is mounted near the ceiling above trays, which are on a shelf resting on the rim of the bathtub. The ceiling above the trays is about 6' above them.

All three lights are pointed at the ceiling, so the distance from light to ceiling and then back to paper is somewhere around 6' - 8' in each case.

The gooseneck reflectors are positioned to give light in the three areas of the darkroom (enlarger, paper trimmer and trays) where I need it.

Hope this helps.

PS: here is the current listing for the LED bulbs I bought about 2.5 years ago: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/18-led-...-110v-red-5136

I was happy with my dealings with the seller, with the possible exception of the fact that the packing was a bit "minimal".
    Last edited by MattKing; 02-27-2012 at 07:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Brian,

If money is no object, buy a Thomas Duplex. They are wonderful.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am looking for a red led like the one showed by Barzune, but this one is for 120 volts, and I need a 240 Volts led. Can somebody recommend a supplier?
    Thanks,
    Henry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin