Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,599   Online: 881

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Wood burning stoves and Archival materials

I plan on building a tiny house (tumbleweedhouses[dot]com) with a small wood burning stove. I also plan on have a small darkroom in this small space. Does anyone know if wood burning stoves will affect the archival quality of negatives/prints? Do wood burning stoves create dust (more than usual)?

Let me know if you have any information on this.

Thanks,
    Matthew
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

Horseman L45 || Rolleicord VB || Mamiya RB67

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've lived with wood stoves and fireplaces for years, yes they are messy, but not necessarily dusty. A properly vented stove shouldn't emit any harmful fumes into the house and do any damage to the contents. Loading firewood into the house is the dirty part, also cleaning ashes is pretty messy at times. Make sure you load hot ashes into a steel bucket, never plastic (you'ld be surprised at how many people do that).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Several of those houses are very tiny indeed.
    In any case, as Rick says, the woodstove isn't necessarily trouble for your darkroom or materials, I've heated full-time on and off in our current house for a while, and haven't encountered any problems attributable to the woodstove.
    I also know some other photographers who heat with wood.
    You would probably want to close off the darkroom or material storage space if possible when you are doing chores like cleaning the ashes. If you're careful you won't generate very much of a cloud when cleaning the stove. I find that although the incoming wood can produce a lot of debris, most of it is larger than dust, that is sticks, leaves, pieces of bark etc. that need to be swept up, but don't add much in the way of dust and similar fine particles.
    Make sure the flue is sized correctly for the stove, and that bends in the flue are minimized so that it drafts properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be sure to check with zoning, none of those houses could be built in SE WI or NE IL. If your concerned about dust, and don't forget you cannot have anything to close to a wood burner, you could use an outdoor wood stove, and pipe the heat inside. Probally the cost of the wood stove, in anycase, would exceed the cost of electric heat and up to date insulation. Just a thought. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well, it can create dust, also all the wood and bark and sawdust you haul into that house too.

I'd say get a 100 pound propane tank with a propane heater.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I'd be more worried about printing (and living!) in a big city, than close to a nice wood stove.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Out of curiosity, which size house are you thinking of? For ten years I lived in a house with the same floor plan as the Bodega, except a foot narrower (13x18) and no loft (I slept in the attic). Difficult having a darkroom in that size house, but not impossible if one wants to live in a darkroom.

I had no heat, but a house that size can be heated by cooking a biscuit in the oven, which is what I did in the winter in NW CA...probably would not be enough in NY!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A well-made, well -vented modern stove will do fine. While yo're at it, make it a cooking stove!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Out of curiosity, which size house are you thinking of? For ten years I lived in a house with the same floor plan as the Bodega, except a foot narrower (13x18) and no loft (I slept in the attic). Difficult having a darkroom in that size house, but not impossible if one wants to live in a darkroom.

I had no heat, but a house that size can be heated by cooking a biscuit in the oven, which is what I did in the winter in NW CA...probably would not be enough in NY!
    19x8 on a trailer. The darkroom will be very compact, large enough to develop film and print. I'm also looking at small marine propane heaters that are standard in tiny homes.. The tiny home will also have a full loft (bed, relax area, storage).
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

Horseman L45 || Rolleicord VB || Mamiya RB67

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I burn all the time. Like clean coal, a clean burning stove is only relative to an old design stove. It still will be one of the less clean methods of heat. On the other hand, unless you have a clean lab, like a professional clean lab, you will learn to live with it. I would suggest you get a drying bag, or cabinett for hanging up your film, and not out in the open. Then, you should be OK. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin