Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,187   Online: 849

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post

No, you didn't John. I don't believe anyone said you did. I was asking specific example because that statement gets used and OTHER PEOPLE have said so, perhaps unknowingly, and then want to argue for it to be true.

(And, forgive me Leigh, but examples of subzero Antartica is a very real but low probability example that calls for special measures. Surely not what most of us experience in our daily lives. )

There are definitely parts of shutters that should have no lubrication, as you say.
    i agree .. examples are always KEY .. because as you say people quote and requote and eventually things get
    askew .. i can imagine who knows when someone suggests i said "no shutters ever need any lubrication " ...

( i should have used examples in my earlier post )

john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    So, I'd say the answer is: in theory, with excellent maintenance and proper lubricants, shutters shouldn't require periodic "exercise," but in reality, with the actual maintenance that many shutters that most people use have had, it doesn't hurt to get things moving once in a while.

I have 22 working LF shutters, if I've counted properly, all in various states of maintenance and frequency of use, and periodically I'll go through them all and make sure they're running properly. I sell off things that I really know I don't need, so they don't become a burden to maintain.

Old Ilex/Acme shutters seem to benefit the most from periodic exercise, particularly at the slow speeds.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Pentax 165mm leaf shutter lens is stored with the shutter released, as per instructions on storage after use. It's no big effort to think of this at the end of a day's shoot.
    I think it would be more of problem for focal plane shutters in cameras that haven't been exercised in a long while e.g. loss of accuracy over time.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm really surprised no one recommended WD-40 as a cure-all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Must you suggest that?

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Must you suggest that?

- Leigh
    Well, just about every other bad idea was covered. Many think it's actually a lubricant.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WD-40 is paraffin. It actually does work well as a lubricant in loose-fitting mechanisms like locks and firearms.

But its main purpose is water displacement, hence the WD name. It's used to protect metal from corrosion.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 03-06-2012 at 03:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I exercise my LF shutters a couple times right before I pull the darkslide. The main reason -- it makes sure that I have closed the lens (they won't fire if they are open).

Now I just need to find a way to remind myself that I have the lens cap on my barrel lenses before I pull the darkslide! LOL!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I exercise my LF shutters a couple times right before I pull the darkslide.
    The main reason -- it makes sure that I have closed the lens (they won't fire if they are open).
    i do the same thing, for the same reason.

- Leigh

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin