Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,575   Online: 1190

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I vote for a foreign object. Look for something stuck in the lip of the door or on the mating part of the loader body - in your last picture it looks like there is something amiss at the right side of the loader body lip. Also look for something in the door pivot area - a bit of broken off film maybe.

The loader looks well used so it worked properly at one time. Whatever it is, it isn't a manufacturing defect. Bakelite doesn't warp with time, so that can't be the cause.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that the cassette is put together wrong. The central core should have the long tab pointing to the right in the last of the OP's photos.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear lbloom,

You have the cassette inserted incorrectly. You should not be able to see the film with the door open and the cassette inserted.

Neal Wydra

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I think that the cassette is put together wrong. The central core should have the long tab pointing to the right in the last of the OP's photos.
    There's no cassette in the chamber in the last (#3) picture. That film you are seeing is the main roll's end sticking out of the light trap. The "long tab"-like thing in the picture is actually part of the loader's outer body. That's where the crank is inserted.

With the door as shown, the crank passes clean through into the chamber, as it should. With the door closed (but still no cassette in the chamber), the crank does not pass through. It is blocked by a little bit of the hole-loop in the door.

A quick Paint sketch to clarify.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bulk_loader.jpg  
    Last edited by lbloom; 03-04-2012 at 08:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    I vote for a foreign object. Look for something stuck in the lip of the door or on the mating part of the loader body - in your last picture it looks like there is something amiss at the right side of the loader body lip. Also look for something in the door pivot area - a bit of broken off film maybe.

The loader looks well used so it worked properly at one time. Whatever it is, it isn't a manufacturing defect. Bakelite doesn't warp with time, so that can't be the cause.
    This is what I keep thinking too. Will look again, even more carefully, and possibly take some more pictures of the seams and joints with the door removed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps you should take the bulk roll out of the loader, then try it. I don't know the loader although I used one a long time ago but it is logical that something is getting in the way. Eliminate all the variables is the approach I suggest and the film is not part of the machine.

If nothing else, it will allow a full examination of the loader.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Perhaps you should take the bulk roll out of the loader, then try it.
    I agree -- that's what I did soon after I took that last #3 picture this morning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    is the door closes flush with top off ?
    the door is attached with a flat head screw maybe the screw is loose ... too much play ?

i just took mine apart .. the door moves freely,
    but i can imagine if the screw was not tight,
    or the lid was not seated right

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    is the door closes flush with top off ?
    the door is attached with a flat head screw maybe the screw is loose ... too much play ?

i just took mine apart .. the door moves freely,
    but i can imagine if the screw was not tight,
    or the lid was not seated right

john
    John,

I did try the door-screw in tight, loose, and off configurations, but it didn't change the situation.

The door is not flush with the top cover, top on or off (lloyds04), but the door does align correctly with back plate (lloyds06). lloyds05 shows how the door fits in the loader with the cover off.

That made me think that perhaps the top cover is not seating correctly, but it sits flush with the curved non-door side of the casing in its present situation. lloyds07 and lloyds08 show the casing and top cover edges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lloyds04.jpg   lloyds05.jpg   lloyds06.jpg   lloyds07.jpg   lloyds08.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that there is something in the top cover that keeps the door from closing - it looks like it closes fine with the top cover removed.

If you hold the door closed & flush when you put the top cover on can you feel the cover pushing the door open? You might be able to feel where the obstruction is. I can't see any obstruction in the latest photos.

It looks like there is scratching on the inside of the front cover at the lower left in photo '07. Could it be evidence of some filing at some point in the past?
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i agree with nicholas ..
    there is something in there doing something ... or something isn't flush/smooth

when you removed the door, and seated the cover on and screwed the lid on ..
    the top cover lay flush/flat ..

with it 90% put back together ...

examine the door itself ..
    is the cylinder, the seat is smooth
    and the place where it sleeps on the case all smooth ?

if they are rough, or the bottom of the door
    has isn't seated completely flush these things could be causing your problem ...

john

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin