Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,949   Posts: 1,585,936   Online: 993
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    30

    Issue with Lloyds bulk loader

    Hello all,

    I recently purchased a used Lloyds bulk loader from here. When the door of the loader is closed, I find that the crank does not insert all the way to the cassette, so I can't wind on the film.

    (The daylight design of the Lloyds involves inserting a crank through a hole in the body, past another aligned hole in the closed door, to wind the cassette in the chamber. This design prevents the door from being opened when the film is being wound. Picture #1 shows the door open, and the crank is in the background, very out of focus.)

    In my case, the crank passes correctly through the hole on the loader body, but the hole in the door does not seem to align correctly, no matter how tightly I close the door. There is a always a thin section of the door that blocks the path of the crank (crescent seen in Picture #2, within the bore). This is mechanically blocking the crank.

    I have tried taking apart the loader and re-assembling it. It seems to be a simple device, and there are no obvious loose or damaged points that I can see. If I apply a great deal of compressive force on the door briefly, I can insert and retrieve the crank with some difficulty, but I believe that this is due to deformation of the bakelite/plastic.

    Any idea on what's going on here, and what I can do about it? I'm happy to take more pictures or describe this better, if it helps.

    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lloyds01.jpg   lloyds02.jpg  
    Last edited by lbloom; 03-04-2012 at 07:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  2. #2
    ParkerSmithPhoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    917
    Images
    6
    Does the top door close fully with no light leaks? Maybe you could just remove the "safety loop"?
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

    Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    30
    The door does close with no light leaks, if I apply the aforementioned considerable compressive force and lock it in with the crank.

    Removing the loop altogether would probably need a back-up plan, such as tape to hold the door closed when cranking. The sill between the door and the body is barely a couple of millimeters -- easily opened accidentally without the loop in place.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by lbloom View Post
    The sill between the door and the body is barely a couple of millimeters -- easily opened accidentally without the loop in place.
    A picture to show you what I mean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lloyds03.jpg  

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Live Free or Die
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,567
    Images
    91
    The door should close flush with the front of the body, as I recall. There may be something near the where the door is hinged that keeps it from closing all the way. These were never really precise gadgets, there might be some "flash" from the molding process hanging things up. If so, it should be easily remedied with an exacto knife or similar implement.
    As a worst case you could enlarge the hole in the tab, the easiest might be to get a drill bit the same diameter as the outer hole. With the door fully closed put the bit through the outer hole and use it to cut the tab's hole to match. You could do this with a power drill, but it's probably safer to just twist the drill bit by hand. You could also open the hole up by carving it with a knife. Just carve untill it matches the contour of the hole in the body.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    16,890
    i have the same bulk loader ( although mine is close to 30 years old ) ..
    and just grabbed it and stuck a cassette into it, and easily recreated your problem


    which way do you orient the film when you load it ?
    do you put the mouth of the cassette right against the film reservoir ?
    if you don't orient the cassette the right way you won't be able to close the door
    it has to be inserted so the flat end was the part getting "cranked" and the felt mouth of the cassette
    has to be right against the film reservoir ( getting "fed" ).
    if you don't do both of these things, you will have trouble ...

    good luck !
    john

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    The door should close flush with the front of the body, as I recall. There may be something near the where the door is hinged that keeps it from closing all the way. These were never really precise gadgets, there might be some "flash" from the molding process hanging things up. If so, it should be easily remedied with an exacto knife or similar implement.
    Just took another careful look around. What you mention sounds about right to my intuition, but I still don't spot anything amiss.

    As a worst case you could enlarge the hole in the tab, the easiest might be to get a drill bit the same diameter as the outer hole.
    That's a possibility I've been considering also.
    Last edited by lbloom; 03-04-2012 at 09:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i have the same bulk loader ( although mine is close to 30 years old ) ..
    and just grabbed it and stuck a cassette into it, and easily recreated your problem


    which way do you orient the film when you load it ?
    do you put the mouth of the cassette right against the film reservoir ?
    if you don't orient the cassette the right way you won't be able to close the door
    it has to be inserted so the flat end was the part getting "cranked" and the felt mouth of the cassette
    has to be right against the film reservoir ( getting "fed" ).
    if you don't do both of these things, you will have trouble ...

    good luck !
    john
    I see what you are saying. However, the issue occurs even without any cassette in the chamber, i.e., the crank cannot be inserted past the thickness of the outer body even with an empty chamber.
    Last edited by lbloom; 03-04-2012 at 09:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Live Free or Die
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,567
    Images
    91
    Good point, John.
    I didn't go look at mine before commenting, best to do that, before advising cutting.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, Western Suburbs
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,468
    Dear lbloom,

    You have the cassette inserted incorrectly. You should not be able to see the film with the door open and the cassette inserted.

    Neal Wydra

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin