Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,695   Online: 778

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Sean
    We have huge fluctuations in humidity here in Toronto, During the winter months we actively raise the humidity in the darkroom and in the print finishing area , primaraly to flatten the fibre prints, it is a real problem,
    Idealy if you could keep the humidity between 45-65% most dust and print curling problems will be lowered.
    right now we are fighting with a new finishing space and are trying to raise the humidity near the hot press. We will be putting the press in a closed environment to keep the humidity higher during the winter months.
    In my darkroom , I have a commercial humidifier hooked up to a hot water heater to keep the humidity level constant year round.
    During spring summer , we have no problem as the humidty is very high.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, you guys almost got me. I had a flashlight in my hand and was headed up to the darkroom to check, when I stopped on the stairs and thought "Is this something I really want to know?" Seriously, I'm obsessive enough about that sort of thing that I would feel compelled to do something about it if I did see dust, and who knows how much lost time and money that could lead to? No, much better to put the flashlight away, go out to the garage and grab a fresh Ale, then head back up to the darkroom for a printing session using my time-tested static brush and canned air. Ahhhhh, much better. Ignorance truly is bliss!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bruce - I had similar concerns, but mustered up the courage and breeched the darkness with trusty Maglite in hand. Whew! No dust. Eventually, I may try it while wearing my glasses.

David - I like "Tephratype" - sounds classy. What's the Greek word for "crappy"?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tephratype....I'm going to HAVE to remember that! haha Mike, great idea about the static gun....I'm going to have to try that.

I find that if I dust everything when I go down & turn on my space heater, I have far fewer problems. There are some days that seem to be dustier than others. I've thought about running one of those small cold air vaporisers that you use in the kids' rooms when they are sick. That would definitely reduce static, which contributes to the dust staying airborne.

It's good that you've decided to block your darkroom off from the laundry, Sean. There's tons of lint on clothes. BUT, I guess I agree with Brian.... Just get in there & make a print! I had the SAME problem, but you can do it!! You've got us all rooting for you!!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Bruce - I had similar concerns, but mustered up the courage and breeched the darkness with trusty Maglite in hand. Whew! No dust. Eventually, I may try it while wearing my glasses.
    Tell you what, Ralph, when I start producing prints that come even close to the stuff you have posted on your site I might start worrying about little stuff like dust.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for the kind words, Bruce.

Is there a blushing smilie?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This past weekend I finished off the finishing touches to my new and first darkroom. Well, so I had thought.

The back wall of it is concrete, and upon running my hand up against it, a small pile of concrete dust appeared right on my benchrop, right where I was planning to put my trays! I'll have to buy some sealer for it this weekend, and it will give me a good excuse to paint the whole room too. But I was greatly looking forward to doing my first prints. Good old Murphy's Law huh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, so how about this? Use the absolute fastest film you can find, then push it maybe 3 or 4 stops, then print 10% of the frame to at least 10x8 inches, then you won't be able to differentiate dust from grain.

And you can tell everyone it's "arty" to boot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Bruce David - I like "Tephratype" - sounds classy. What's the Greek word for "crappy"?
    Well, let's see. The Greek for dung in general is "Kopros" so you could have a Koprotype, but human dung in particular is "Skor", so as photographs tend to be taken by humans I suppose a sh.t photo could be a Skorotype. One Greek word for diarrhoea is "Spatila", so presumably a bad photo taken with a motordrive would be a Spatilatype, whereas a bad digital photo would be "Skor eis aritmon" (sh.t by numbers).

David.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Winter is dust season for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere The furnace definitely kicks a lot of it around... while reducing the humidity. Extra-fluffy animals this time of year, too. I'm always amazed at the places where I can find cat hair.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin