Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,819   Online: 792

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Can you identify this reel?

Have 2 of them (35mm) that came with other items. Went to try one out a day or so ago and found it loads as good (or even a bit better) than my Hewes reel. Not one 4 letter word when loading an entire roll!

It's about as heavy as the Hewes, so heavier gauge stainless steel than most reels. No name on it that I could find. Has 2 posts to engage the film sprocket holes.

I'd love to find some in 120.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good reel 1.jpg   Good reel 2.jpg  
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 120 Hewes reels have the word "Hewes" engraved on them in the faintest engraving possible, so it may be that the pictured reels are Hewes too.

And what would the two prongs engage with in a 120 reel .?

(The Hewes 120 reels have a spring loaded clip).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 35mm Hewes reel has a flat piece of stainless steel with 2 triangular prongs to catch the sprocket holes. "Hewes" is pretty clearly marked on the flat surface. It's a relatively newer reel, so earlier one could be different.

Good point about the non-existent sprocket holes in 120; I wasn't thinking it through. But I would assume the maker of these reels made decent 120 reels also - if they made them at all.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check the straight steel stiffening bars.

Attached is an image of a 120 reel, showing the engraving on the horizontal bar (sorry about the focus).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hewes2.JPG  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are good!

No wonder it loads as easy (or better) as my Hewes - it is one. Definitely different than the one I recently bought (like this), but it's marked "Hewes" on the horizontal bar as you indicated. I was looking for markings in the center and did not see any.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin