Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,369   Online: 1104

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Negative cleaning technique

What is your preferred method for cleaning a film negative before printing? I've had a couple lately that have driven me nuts with dust and spotting.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canned air plus a soft makeup brush before putting them in the gate of the enlarger.

If that doesn't work, wash them in a solution of Photo-Flo and warm water. Rub them GENTLY with a Q-Tip while under water. Hang to dry in a dust free area. Use a syringe filled with Photo-Flo solution to squirt any tiny dust spots off the film before it dries.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PEC-12 & Pecwipes. Also a microfiber cloth. An anti-static gun comes in handy now and then. Sometimes the problems is that the enlarger and surroundings are dusty and the dust flies to a static charged negative on its way from being cleaned to being put in the enlarger. I find Swiffer dusters to a good job dusting enlargers.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Prevention is the best cure:

1) Photoflo and distilled water
    2) Dust free drying
    3) Don't touch the image surface with fingers

I have some Kodak negative cleaner but think I have used it once in ten years. It is for grease and oil (finger prints) but it does nothing for a negative dried with dust imbedded in the emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just another suggestion in general might be slightly off topic, look for a air purifier at goodwill (got mine for $10 works wonderful , put it in my room where I dry negs), and put it where you'd work on film.

I myself use lens cloth, a soft brush and a rubber air bubble/pump in the dark room.
    - Derek

I am looking for a parts Synchro Compur #00.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just use an old spotting brush to remove junk. Then pray nothing else lands on them between the light box and the enlarger's film stage. Wash 'em again if they're very dirty.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    Just another suggestion in general might be slightly off topic, look for a air purifier at goodwill (got mine for $10 works wonderful , put it in my room where I dry negs), and put it where you'd work on film.

I myself use lens cloth, a soft brush and a rubber air bubble/pump in the dark room.
    This post comes at a perfect time! I also have been wondering what to do with some of my neg's. I tried the photo-flo & Q tip, but I wasn't happy. Maybe I need to practice more. Last night I was thinking about using a HEPA room air cleaner like the one Iv'e used on some of my Carpentry Jobs.
    After reading how your doing something similar, with good results makes me happy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My darkroom is inside our house and under our central AC system. I keep a filter over the duct to the room so beside the good advice you have received the room air cleaner is still a good idea. Our climate is rather humid and we are not near road traffic so dust has not been a problem but everything helps. Dust-off, PEC-12 and a brush are always handy. Cover the enlarger with a trash bag when not in use and keep additional lenses with their lens caps in ziplok bags.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep an air purifier with HEPA filter running at all times in my DR, dust is nearly non-existant. I also damp wipe everything in my lab once a week, damp mop the floor when finished cleaning. At most, my negs require a light dust with canned aid just before loading in machine.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clean drying, plastic sleeves, canned air before printing.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin