Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,497   Online: 947

Shooter
    35mm Pan

Need help with a Beseler 45MCRX with a DG1 Dichro 8145 Color Head

Ok Newbie here. Be easy on me.

Bought this and have questions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7386.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	47825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7389.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	47829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7387.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	47827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7385.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	47826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7388.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	47828

It looks like this is a newer head on an older enlarger.

The box between the transformer for the cold light head looks like it is designed to mount on some other type of unit. Do I need to rig it up for this one?

The timer unit has 2-prong outlets and the head has 3-prong plug. OK to use with adapter w/o ground? Does the timer usually need to be used with safelight to shut it off while exposing?

Controls at side of enlarger look like they only work with old style head. Only thing still useful is the control for raise/lower?

Lastly... what are typical ranges of time for exposure? I understand that this could vary depending on paper, film density, size of enlargement, etc. Just looking for a starting ballpark.

Wondering the steps that something like this is used. I understand loading and focusing. I have not done enlarging since about about 1970 when I was 13 so go easy one me ?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
    Eric Muetterties

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have a diffusion head with color dichroic filters. The bulb runs off the 24V power supply. The variable "resistrol" is for a different head.
    If you plan on multigrade printing you can use the built-in filters.
    You need a lens (same focal length as the "normal" for whatever format you are using) and a negative carrier.
    If the enlarger was intended to be grounded, I'd use a different timer (assuming you house is wired correctly). If you don't have grounded outlets in your house it may not matter.
    The 'safelight off' function of the timer is a convenience thing.
    Exposure about 10 to 30 seconds. Most lenses have about a 3 stop range of good apertures to tweak your exposure time.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 03-15-2012 at 09:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adapting the plugs to the timer is no problem. If you want, you can ground the adapter to the case. That's what the wire's for
    The controls at the side of the unit are for a condensor head. At the top is a voltmeter, beneath it is a resistrol which allows controlling the brightness of the bulb.
    There are so many variables with exposure time paper, brightness of the lamp, height of the lamp housing above the paper, speed of the paper. You're really need to do some testing with the unit.
    I usually start with my "normal" negative and 10-20 seconds around f8 and do test strips.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Thanks guys! That helps.

I wanted to ask before doing something stupid ?

Shooter
    35mm Pan

New question regarding head distance to film

This enlarger is missing the scale on the side of the enlarger for the distance between head and film for various film sizes.

I was getting no light at the corners of prints and figured out that the distance needed to be adjusted. Does anyone know what the approximate distances should be for 35mm, 120 and 4 x 5 film? I am hoping someone has this combination and can give me something to start with.

I am guessing that the original head scale might not be as accurate with the color head, or they just lost the scale strip.

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the color head - a diffuser head, crank it all the way down. The top bellows should be fully compressed with the bottom of the head ending up just above the negative carrier. Only the condenser head requires various adjustments and the scale...

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Thanks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin