Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,236   Online: 1084

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Chromega Dichroic II color head Calibration

I have just recieved my new Chromega Dicho II color heard. I plan on printing on Ilford MultigradeIV vc paper. Does anyone know the yellow and magenta settings for the different grades on this paper ? I see the documentation enclosed with the paper speaks of the durst heads and others not the Omega Chromega.

Thank You
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use the "Kodak" one. The chart that shows 2= 41Y/32M etc.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 03-17-2012 at 11:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you IC Where do I find the Kodak chart??

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here are some dichroic filter equivalents for various contrast grades using Durst, Kodak, and Meopta filter numbers:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/tl_tec...t.php?id=8&p=2

There are also tables of combination settings using both yellow and magenta simultaneously. This is an attempt to give roughly equal printing times for the various contrast grades.

The single-color settings in the table referenced above give the shortest printing times at each grade.

Note: Omega enlargers have maximum value of 170.

You can also leave the settings at zero and use the Ilford below-the-lens filter and filter holder kit. The holder grips the outside diameter of the lens with 3 soft, rubber-tipped finger tightened setscrews.
    Last edited by Ian C; 03-17-2012 at 11:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here’s a 2-filter dichroic table on page 4 from Ilford. It gives the equivalents in Ilford MG filters, and Durst and Kodak dichroic values using combinations of yellow and magenta.

http://www.dedokawinkel.nl/mg4.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see you mention a "new" Dichroic D but if it is a used head and only "new" to you be advised that the filters fade over use and some adjustments may be necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    I see you mention a "new" Dichroic D but if it is a used head and only "new" to you be advised that the filters fade over use and some adjustments may be necessary.
    It is the older "Super Chromega" non-Dichroic, non-II with the filters that are prone to fading. http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...e%20(orig).pdf

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The chart that has the filter
    Values comes in the paper box.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank You Everyone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best results come from testing for yourself. Get a step wedge. It will do more for calibrating all sorts of your photogrpahy than you can imagine.

I work with out of date paper all of the time. I calibrate every new box or envelope, typically using less than a piece of 8x10 to make a whole bunch of 2x2.5" prints of a projected 6x6cm 31 step step wedge.

The prints are exposed starting at all yellow, then 15 units less Y, unitl zero, then start dialling in magenta. Write the filtration on the back in pencil.
    You end up with about 12 prints. I develop them all together for the same 2' in a dektol like developer 1:2 dilution. That is my standard print developer arrangement.

Then once dry you count the number of steps between just barely off white to just not quite full black.

You can refine this more to figure out what amount of Y+M+C gives a 1/3 of a step reduction in exposure. For my case it is 7cc.

You can then go back and plot what the response is raw, and then adjust to dial in some magenta with your yellow to give equal time exposure for just off white, or some other value of grey.

If you are interested, pm me. I got this method off this site about 6-7 years ago from an old post from 'noseoil'. I can pdf the print out and mial it over or post it here.

A variation of this technique is also discussed in 'the varable contrast printing manual' or something like that by Anschell.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin