Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,527   Posts: 1,572,394   Online: 1115

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanderson View Post
    Appreciate your time and thoughts!
    Here's quite a bit of my time, thoughtfully composed: A Darkroom Portrait

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome,
    Yes you got a good buy. So many people have jumped to digital and left their skills behind, along with their equipment.

I'm supporting Bethe's invite if you are anywhere near our NE Ohio gathering come join us. I'm so looking foward to that gathering.

Enjoy shooting and as always ask a bunch of questions.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm only a tiny bit ahead of you. I have recently finished building a little (7' x 4') darkroom and fitting it out with gear from fleabay. I can still count the number of films I have developed on two hands. Here's what I have discovered so far:-

I have been following Ilfords instructions to the letter, seems to mean everything works first time. (So far!). It's much easier than I thought it was going to be to get passable prints from negs you have developed yourself. I say passable, because I am just beginning to realise how much scope there is to tweak the process, and I suspect the leap from passable to brilliant is a much steeper learning curve than going from zero to passable! ( I have just bought "way beyond monochrome" - it's a heavy book in both senses!!!) I made a 4' x 2' sink out of ply sealed with epoxy. The Sink seems to be the most important item in a darkroom - keeps all the wet stuff firmly contained away from the dry stuff. I inherited old Ilford and Kentmere paper > 3 yrs old. Seems perfect. I also inherited > 2 yr old paper developer in brim full sealed 500ml bottles. This also seems just fine compared to some new ilford developer, so don't discard old stuff - especially for practicising. You *don't* need a print washer, especially for RC paper. Nor a dryer. RC paper seems to wash and dry very easily. Maybe when I "graduate" to FB paper I will look for such things. You don't even need a "print squeegee area" as many recommend. I will make one in due course, but wet RC prints dry real quick when just hung up. You will get every film and developer combination recommended to you. I went for HP5, Tmax400 and Ilford LC29.The advice to stick to one combination and get used to it seems sound advice to me. Above all, a darkroom is far more fun than sitting at a 'puter (which I do far too much in the day job).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Second question: In darkrooms you have used, what do you find yourself most thankful to have around the workspace?
    Aside from the the enlarger timer and a focusing magnifier, the most used items are my dodging wands.
    They're up on the wall, not on the counter top or under some nearby clutter.
    They're used almost 100% of the time.
    Indispensable.

Reinhold

www.Re-inventedPhotoEquip.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dodger detail.JPG   Dodger wall.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanderson View Post
    Perhaps it is just fantasy but listening to a solid album while developing sure seems like it could bring a lot of happiness.
    yes, it can help, especially if you're in there for a long session! I have a pair of semi-decent blue tooth speakers up high on a shelf, they can plug into anything, or connect wirelessly to my phone, which I use for Internet radio. There are a couple great US stations I love, it's usually morning drive-time over there while I'm working, some of the small town stations that broadcast online are good fun. I find my tastes change dramatically depending on what I'm doing, whether I'm playing with a print working out the fine exposures & burns etc, or doing straight proof prints, or Doing a run of the same print... It's interesting to observe just what my brain wants when I'm doing these different things.

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow! Thanks for all the wonderful responses! I would like to thank you all individually, however, for the sake of people reading this I will stick with brevity - but know I am very grateful! Now let me apologize for the delay in my response. I won't bore you with stories of my week but what I will did is get to the good stuff! My lenses. The enlarger came with four lenses: 50mm Nikkor, 135mm Wollensak, 4/80 Schneider - Kreuznach, and 6/80 Schneider - Kreuznach. They all look to be in good shape. A little dusty. Any recommendations for cleaning them up or is just typical lens cleaning?

Tank and reels! I have been keeping an eye on eBay. Stainless steel or plastic tanks? Wade D mentioned that either will work (thank you Wade) but I would be interested to hear what people think the pros and cons are of each.

There was also mention of a group that meets periodically in Ohio. First, thanks so much for the invite! I would love to attend! I can't say that I will at this exact moment as work and school schedules need to be looked at before I confirm but it sounds wonderful - so thank you!

A big thanks to everyone again! It is great to be welcomed with such kindness and knowledge!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your trash can will be an excellent teacher, I know mine is.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin