Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,052   Online: 815

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think the most encouraging thing is that a photo-supplies company chooses to write on their website "With the resurgence in demand for film usage". This obviously isn't just a guess or impression, but must be based on their own sales (otherwise why write it?)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    But wasn't lack of traffic the reason the labs closed? This really isn't a new product. Cheaper than a Refrema, I guess.
    You're right about the labs, I suppose. But still great to see that a company like Jobo is bringing out a new product rather than no product - even if it is a re-hash of a previous one. The place I work at relaunches older products that refuse to die off from time to time and I can tell you there are still significant costs involved. So for whatever reason, they are seeing enough demand to go through the cost and effort to put out a product.

It's my sincere hope that the megapixel race is starting to die out and the pendulum is starting to swing back towards the middle. I look at reviews of the newest, latest digbible stuff from time to and can't imagine what it REALLY does that the (one) 5 year old DSLR I already have doesn't do. Other than having one for the sake of having the latest (and don't underestimate that crowd) I can't see what most of it really buys you for a lot of $$$$.

Maybe I'll put off the purchase of that Pentax K3 and get one of these Jobo processors instead.

Mostly, I just wish that photography-wise the world would be as it was about 25 years ago. (except for some of the films we have today!) But we must have progress, right?, because progress is always good!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Great news!!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a good and positive sign of things to come.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    They just sent me an email. 2000 GBp including vat. So about what $2600 us plus shipping? Wonder if anyone in the us will carry them I know freestyle sells some jobs stuff.

Images
    Still can't afford one. Maybe some of you folks will want the latest and greatest and I can pick up a used on cheap.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    You're right about the labs, I suppose. But still great to see that a company like Jobo is bringing out a new product rather than no product - even if it is a re-hash of a previous one. The place I work at relaunches older products that refuse to die off from time to time and I can tell you there are still significant costs involved. So for whatever reason, they are seeing enough demand to go through the cost and effort to put out a product.

It's my sincere hope that the megapixel race is starting to die out and the pendulum is starting to swing back towards the middle. I look at reviews of the newest, latest digbible stuff from time to and can't imagine what it REALLY does that the (one) 5 year old DSLR I already have doesn't do. Other than having one for the sake of having the latest (and don't underestimate that crowd) I can't see what most of it really buys you for a lot of $$$$.

Maybe I'll put off the purchase of that Pentax K3 and get one of these Jobo processors instead.

Mostly, I just wish that photography-wise the world would be as it was about 25 years ago. (except for some of the films we have today!) But we must have progress, right?, because progress is always good!
    The only JOBOs I've seen are in friends' basements/garages, all shelved by busted parts. Just hope the market is deep enough to float a re-launch with down-sizing labs the probable major customers(?).

On megapixel wars, price/quality quotients are improving quickly: MILC/EVIL cameras are denting Canon/Nikon DSLR markets--Sony's NEX 5n and 7 are killer and can use almost any glass via cheap adapters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    I think the most encouraging thing is that a photo-supplies company chooses to write on their website "With the resurgence in demand for film usage". This obviously isn't just a guess or impression, but must be based on their own sales (otherwise why write it?)
    And saying it also mirrors what another manufacturer of darkroom equipment (Versalab, those nice print washers) has been saying now for over a year and a half:

"A note from Versalab July 2010 - We are pleased to see a considerably improved market for darkroom equipment. This has been on the rise for a year and should be an exciting thought for those reading our web pages. Both new and old experienced photographers are beginning to again enjoy the delights of film, chemistry and paper."

I suppose these manufacturers could all be lying...

Or maybe not...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They will be still cheaper than a new Phototherm Sidekick (which has remained in production).

I think that this is generally good news.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Pity that there's no mention of new tanks to go with them.

The BS prices for Expert drums (and that people pay them!) simply amazes me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin