Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,922   Online: 1083

Thread: Enlarger lenses

Shooter
    Medium Format

Enlarger lenses

Hi Everyone. Question: I am just setting up for enlarging 6x7 negatives. I only have a 50mm f2.8 enlarger lens. I read I should get a 90mm for the 6x7 format but was wondering if a little bigger would it be better? Dave.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Dave:

I have three lenses I use for 6x7:

1) an 80mm Componon (EDIT: actually a Rodagon) that performs well with the format (some 80mm lenses don't have enough coverage). I use it when I need a fairly large enlargement;
    2) a 90mm Beseler Color Pro - a re-badged 6 element lens that performs well; and
    3) a 105mm Rodagon that works well when I'm printing relatively small (8x10 or smaller).

I can make fairly large prints (11x14) with the 105mm lens due to the length of the column on my enlarger, but prefer to switch lenses.

The 80mm and 105mm lenses are on the same turret, so they tend to get used the most.

This 3 year old thread includes some useful information - and you can track how my usage has evolved too : http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/5...-negative.html
    Last edited by MattKing; 04-10-2012 at 01:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A little larger wouldn't hurt - I just got a 105mm for my 6x9 format negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite 6x9 lens is a Wollensak 90mm that was designed for that format. It's slightly wide effect allows for some good sized enlargments without having to go off the base of the machine.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    My favorite 6x9 lens is a Wollensak 90mm that was designed for that format. It's slightly wide effect allows for some good sized enlargments without having to go off the base of the machine.
    I second the 90mm Wollensak, I have a 80mm and 105, although slower than my 80 the 90 is great match for 6X9 and at F 8 or 11 very sharp. I enlarge up to 16X29 on my D 3 without shooting to the floor.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    90mm is great for 6x7 format.

Quote Originally Posted by Photocyan View Post
    Hi Everyone. Question: I am just setting up for enlarging 6x7 negatives. I only have a 50mm f2.8 enlarger lens. I read I should get a 90mm for the 6x7 format but was wondering if a little bigger would it be better? Dave.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    80mm is long enough for 6x7; a recent Rodagon or Componon would be great; an APO-Rodagon or Componon-S would be better. Do not buy a Rogonar or Componar. Make sure the condensers in your enlarger (if condensers there be) are set correctly for the film size, otherwise you can get pale/underexposed corners on your print.

Given that 80mm should cover 6x7, a 90mm will be fine too but you will need to raise your enlarger 12% higher to get the same enlargement, which limits your print size slightly compared to an 80mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the wonderful focotar-2 100mm for my xpan negatives. Even today, after thousands of prints (of which about 500 16x20), I am still amazed at what I am seeing. The far corners are sharp!!

Ypucan expect to pay 800-1200$ for one but if ypu value your work and all the time you put into printing, 1000$ is peanuts.

Just now i have 28 16x20 prints washing, all xpans. I can't thank enough Leica (apparently a schneider lens, though) for this lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well I just bought a Wollensak 90mm f/4.5 Raptar enlarging lens. I hope it is like new as they said. I will let you know how I like it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin