Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,923   Posts: 1,522,102   Online: 783

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I agree about the DeVeres, they are ery good too. I have a 504 and an 8x10.. They are easy to align and don't get misaligned very easily. My second choice behind the VCCE LPL. With the VCCE there are no changes in exposure time when changing contrast grades..a powerful tool for manipulations..EC

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    It's documented in a couple of threads here. Do a asearch for LED enlarger. If I get time I will find them and put links in this thread.

Basically I used the PCB from an LED stage light which has 153 LEDs, 51 each of red, green and blue. All three are used for focusing then the blue and green are used in varying proportions to get the change of grade. A range of about 1 to 3, possibly 3.5 is possible. Others have managed higher grades by using UV LEDs but I haven't gone that far.

EDIT: That was easier than I thought!

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/6...t=led+enlarger

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/7...t=led+enlarger

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/7...t=led+enlarger

Steve.

Pretty cool, I have some enlarger carcasses which could serve as platforms for this and I'd like to jabe a go at building an 11x14 unit..EC

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have a De Vere 504 with a dichromat head and find it to be one of the best enlargers I have ever used.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using a Beseler 45MX with a dichroic head for 30 years and it's a great enlarger. If I had to do it differently, I'd probably get a Durst Laborator. They're gorgeous enlargers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Banks View Post
    From my research so far it seems wise to avoid cold cathode heads (difficulties with multigrade), DeVere as a make (complicated and too much to go wrong) and Ilford multigrade heads (unreliable and expensive).
    In keeping with those recommendations I'd also advise you to avoid condenser enlargers (too much dust will show) and avoid dichroic heads with halogen lamps (too much heat, some bulbs hard to get, power supplies can be non-repairable) and avoid closed loop heads (too complicated for general use) and avoid Elwoods (too old, if glass diffuser is broken the enlarger is junk etc.) and avoid LED enlarger heads (homemade, non "CE" approved, potentially dangerous)...

Seriously, there are very few 'bad' 4x5 enlargers. Enlarger selection comes down to availability, how far you want to drive or how much you want to support your favorite shipping company and enlarger condition and number of hard-to-find accessories in the deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin