Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,778   Online: 1036

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

5X4 Enlarger advice?

I am looking for a 5X4 bench top enlarger for black and white printing and I was wondering if experienced users can make some recommendations. From my research so far it seems wise to avoid cold cathode heads (difficulties with multigrade), DeVere as a make (complicated and too much to go wrong) and Ilford multigrade heads (unreliable and expensive).

Am I on the right lines? If so, it seems I should look for a Durst or LPL - or are there others?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts, experiences, recommendations people can share and (especially) if anyone in the southern half of the UK has one to sell.

Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't think there is anything wrong with DeVere. The 504 is quite a common 5x4 enlarger. I have the much older DeVere 54 which did have a cold light until I changed it to LED (due to the tube being broken on delivery).

Steve.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have 12 working enkargers in my darkroom and of them all, the LPLs stay perfectly aligned. There's just no fiddling around with them and they use the most modern light bulbs. The VCCE is just excellent, I have two of them...E Clarke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Banks View Post
    and (especially) if anyone in the southern half of the UK has one to sell.
    Something I discovered when I was looking was that enlargers of this size are common in the US and they are subsequently cheap to buy - they are even regularly given away. Over here they are fairly scarce and usually sell for a good price (good if you're selling, not so if you're buying).

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    De Vere's were very cheap about 6-7 yeras ago here in the UK but the markets been drying up, they are the most reliable, also simplest to maintain, there's less not more to go wrong I've been using them since the 1970's.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The DeVere enlargers have the advantage of focusing controls mounted at the front of the baseboard and is quite popular.

The Durst L1200 (which I have) can be fiddly to focus accurately when doing big enlargements. If you get a model with the dangly fine focus control, the flexible coupling can break and is expensive/difficult to find replacements. That said, I wouldn't hessitate to grab another one at the right price.

Can't really comment on the LPL, but if if the 5x4 versions are anything like the C7700 I had, they should be a fine choice.

Regardless of the make and model you finally decide upon, make sure it comes with mixing boxes (diffuser heads), masks, and carriers for the sizes of film you intend to use. If you choose a condenser head, ensure to get a full set of condensers as most (all ?) models are next to impossible to find second hand and will be hideously expensive. Finally, be prepared to travel as most are on a "buyer collect" and always seem to be at the other end of the country.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll second the note from eclarke. The Saunders/LPL works very well. I have the 4550 XL with VCCE head. It's solid, easy to use and comes factory aligned. Easy to replace bulbs. Very little can go wrong with these, as opposed to some other more fiddly enlargers like the Beseler. The only thing it doesn't have is lens board tilt, but I've never needed that anyway.

The Saunders/LPL model numbers in the U.S. are different than in some other countries. For example, the Saunders 4550 XLG in the U.S. = LPL 7452L elsewhere.

People love their DeVere machines too. I've never used one.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 04-11-2012 at 07:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, everyone, for your advice so far. Yes - I'm pretty much resigned to paying 'good money' and having to travel to collect my purchase!

Steve - I'm very interested in your LED modification to your 54. Are these relatively easy to construct? Also I assume this light source works well with modern VC papers and filters. Are you able to expand a little, please?

Bill

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Another vote for the Devere enlarger. Though I do not like the negative stage, the focusing is excellent with the drop table and knobs in front.

IMO every type of enlarger is good , if it is well maintained and aligned, I use three different types here and like them all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Banks View Post
    Steve - I'm very interested in your LED modification to your 54. Are these relatively easy to construct? Also I assume this light source works well with modern VC papers and filters. Are you able to expand a little, please?
    It's documented in a couple of threads here. Do a asearch for LED enlarger. If I get time I will find them and put links in this thread.

Basically I used the PCB from an LED stage light which has 153 LEDs, 51 each of red, green and blue. All three are used for focusing then the blue and green are used in varying proportions to get the change of grade. A range of about 1 to 3, possibly 3.5 is possible. Others have managed higher grades by using UV LEDs but I haven't gone that far.

EDIT: That was easier than I thought!

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/6...t=led+enlarger

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/7...t=led+enlarger

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/7...t=led+enlarger

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin