Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,505   Posts: 1,543,485   Online: 1022

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

So my son has a rock tumbler, can I use it as a rotary base?

I've been eyeballing some c41 chems that use variable temps, and the idea of continuous agitation isn't appealing to me. Say I have a rotary rock tumbler and I manage to fit a dev tank in it - can I use this as a rotary base or are the Rpm's really specific to film rotary bases?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best rotary bases oscillate back and forth to prevent streaking from taking place.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Katie, if you do find that you can get a tank into the rock tumbler, you'll want to pick up the tank and rock it back and forth a couple of times by hand every couple of minutes, just to add some variety to the agitation and help prevent the streaks that P.E. mentioned. RPMs shouldn't matter, only the fact that the dev is constantly on the move. If you dev B&W in it, subtract about 15% from the dev time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Katie,

If it's something you just want to try for fun, doing it by hand once or twice isn't that difficult. The Arista kit doesn't even require continuous agitation. If you want to do a lot of it you're going to end up investing in a processor with temperature controls.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I took my base and made it go a single way... The reversing didn't grip as well on the reverse and sometimes it stuck...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin