Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,552   Online: 944

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    SS reels are easier for me than Paterson, because SS uses two hands, whereas Paterson needs three hands (two for the reels and one for the cannister). As another poster said, the only tricky part with SS is getting it started correctly; after that it's effortless. But the reel must not be bent! Cheapo ones come pre-bent from the factory, as a recent purchase proves. I don't have any of the highly recommended Hewes, but the cheapos that I've straightened myself work fine.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My Nikor (old, USA made) tanks and reels came with a very nice large sheet explaining everything. I could scan it and post it for everyone interested.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkroom_rookie View Post
    My Nikor (old, USA made) tanks and reels came with a very nice large sheet explaining everything. I could scan it and post it for everyone interested.
    Please do! As someone who just experienced his first (and I hope last! ) problem loading 120 onto a brand new steel reel, I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkasha View Post
    Please do! As someone who just experienced his first (and I hope last! ) problem loading 120 onto a brand new steel reel, I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it.
    Arkasha, here's the Nikor sheet:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nikor-verso.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	736.9 KB 
ID:	50029
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nikor-recto.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	524.7 KB 
ID:	50030

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    OH...main problem I've ever had is CENTERING the film on the clip---must be dead center or you'll have winding problems---easier to take the tape off when inserting in clip...makes the film more compliant to get in the grooves--particlularly for 35mm with the tape on the end--this was more of an issue in the old days with the THICK tape to the end spool--but the 120 tape is the same thick stuff---I just had this problem last night winding some old film I found from early 70's---mean curl to it, kept mis threading it, bu ton ece I got the tape off, it centered easier and more nicely..wound easy after that.
    That's the beauty of the old Nikor 35mm reel shown; there isn't any clip in the center, so the film self centers. I think people didn't understand them, and later ones had more standard style clips.

I think the 120 reel shown has the usual type clip seen in most reels, but they made two other versions. One of the 120 styles works really well, but of course can't self center like the 35mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, rookie! Much appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I fell into the hype of ss as well and after ruining a bunch of shots I'm giving up and my fingers will thank me for it. I have practiced, practiced, practiced for quite a long time and still messed it up. Plus on a night when I'm developing 10 rolls and my finger has a blister from trying to depress that spring a hundred times and I can't tell anymore what I'm feeling it only gets worse. And after reading "Film Development Cookbook" and seeing them recommend the Paterson tanks for their large opening for fast pour and dump which affects my development time I think it pretty much sealed the deal. I really don't get the fascination with ss over plastic. Stock up on reels if you have to and the drying time becomes a non issue. Is there any other advantage for ss that I'm missing? Because from what I've read so far it's just an argument over old vs. new and that's really not worth discussing. Go with what works for you, it's supposed to be fun and not a headache (or blisters in my case...)

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Amen. I was recently given 40+ SS 120 and 35mm reels, along with a bunch of 4x5 and 8x10 SS racks and holders by a lab-owner friend. Fumbled with the 120s and gave up. Will get an AP tank+reel kit financed by sale of the SS stuff.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm actually getting the feeling that the ability to load steel reels is genetic, like rolling your tongue. You can either do it easily, or you can't. :P

By all means, use what works for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Adamson View Post
    I'm actually getting the feeling that the ability to load steel reels is genetic, like rolling your tongue. You can either do it easily, or you can't. :P

By all means, use what works for you.
    I can load SS reels, in the dark no less, and I still use Patterson style reels. Even the knock off brands.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin