Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,438   Online: 819

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mobile darkroom bus construction updates

Hi all,

Since they are over their neck in getting it realized, I thought I would post some of the construction pictures of Anton's and Ryan's "Photo Palace" blog here. They are now fully into the realization stage of the project (see also this thread and some others on APUG: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/1...s-support.html), and are making some serious progress converting the 35 year old Gillig school bus into a full working mobile darkroom, that will have space for educational workshops as well.

In the pictures below you can see some of the stuff being installed, including water tanks, table tops, storage space and conveniences like a shower, since they will be living and driving this bus for over a year through the U.S.! Ryan is visible in some of the pictures, last pictures shows one darkroom enlarger "cubicle" next to future bathroom in a very early stage of the construction, they are now reaching the stage of realizing the true darkroom setup after doing much of the preliminary but highly necessary plumbing and electrical work, it is getting interesting now! You can read more about the details on Anton's blog:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	construction_birch.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	49790

Name:	construction_cargo_bay2.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	49791

Name:	Construction_Ryan_bench.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	49792

Name:	Construction_DMV_interior.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	49793

Name:	Bus_building_2-28-12.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	49794
    Last edited by Marco B; 04-22-2012 at 08:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent. Two of my favourite things - darkrooms and old buses.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Marco

where are these folks located, my friend John Bentley did this very thing with a smaller bus and travelled through Mexico with a 8x10 deardorf , 1000 sheets of E6 film and chemistry to process (donated by Agfa Canada).1996-97
    He had a Jobo with Expert drum on board , outdoor shower rigged up and created some very nice images..
    I think this is an amazing project , and I hope they come to Toronto , I can hook them up with some teaching gigs which can pay cash.

regards

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Marco

where are these folks located, my friend John Bentley did this very thing with a smaller bus and travelled through Mexico with a 8x10 deardorf , 1000 sheets of E6 film and chemistry to process (donated by Agfa Canada).1996-97
    He had a Jobo with Expert drum on board , outdoor shower rigged up and created some very nice images..
    I think this is an amazing project , and I hope they come to Toronto , I can hook them up with some teaching gigs which can pay cash.

regards

Bob
    Hi Bob,

As far as I understood it from Anton's blog, the current construction is taking place at Ryan's house somewhere in California (also see the Californian "PHOTOP" license plate they acquired for The Photo Palace bus). Anton moved up there since they had a full mechanical workshop out there available to do the necessary work.

I don't know them personally, but donated to the project (which still can be done here), as I think it is great.

Don't know the exact route they will be following, but I guess you can always drop Anton an e-mail to figure it out or arrange something. They developed the concept just for that: teaming and meeting up with fellow analog photographers or interested people, and shooting a comprehensive series of portraits and photos throughout the entire U.S.

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Marco

Well I hope they get their passports.

I run a small business and put all my financials to that effort. I hope they have the will and drive to make this a reality, if they get to Toronto
    I will certainly help them by introducing them to dedicated education groups that would love to promote them and get them some cash.
    By the time they get here some cash, Canadian Back Bacon and some nice cool beer would probably be appreciated. Just don't plan to arrive in Feb as we are all hunkered down in our snow tents, and they would need a team of dogs to help them get through the tracks.. I have met a few Americans in my time and they may not be too bright to plan well enough ahead.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Hi Bob,

As far as I understood it from Anton's blog, the current construction is taking place at Ryan's house somewhere in California (also see the Californian "PHOTOP" license plate they acquired for The Photo Palace bus). Anton moved up there since they had a full mechanical workshop out there available to do the necessary work.

I don't know them personally, but donated to the project (which still can be done here), as I think it is great.

Don't know the exact route they will be following, but I guess you can always drop Anton an e-mail to figure it out or arrange something. They developed the concept just for that: teaming and meeting up with fellow analog photographers or interested people, and shooting a comprehensive series of portraits and photos throughout the entire U.S.

Marco

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bob,
    Whenever I travel away from home I always plan ahead and carry extra socks and underwear for me and my sled dogs as well.
    Why just the other day I found a wayward Canadian in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina that I needed a pair of socks. Fortunately I had a pair to give him.

Charles

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    He must have been from Quebec, we Ontarion's would never forget our socks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple more pictures Anton posted on his blog late during the night. See the blog for details, but they have been making big progress with electricity and rewiring to accommodate the future darkroom. Also new wall paneling has gone up.

Name:	Construction_cleanup_after_enalrgers.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	50164

Name:	Construction_frames_3_inBus.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	50163

Name:	Construction_walls_2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	50162

Name:	Construction_walls_1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	50161

Name:	Construction_Ryan_lights_wiring.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	50160
    My website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How cool is that!!! I want one!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not to late to donate. Give them a buck or two.

Folks ask all the time, "how can I promote film?" Well, here's one way. And I promise they'll take any cash, no matter how trifling.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin