Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,247   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I gal jug

Shooter
    35mm

I gal jug

Hello,
    this is Ronald from the Black and White film section.
    It is bulky to ship empty 1 gallon jugs through the post.
    Is it OK to just buy javex jugs and empty , wash them thoroughly?
    Ronald

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a camera show that goes on in TO every couple months and you can get jugs for about $1 a piece. I have some you could have, but I'm about 100km outside the city.

edit: Sorry, I just assumed you were in TO

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can use 1L and 2L soda pop bottles and just store the chemicals away from light.

Shooter
    35mm
    Too bad, that would be a nice place to visit In TO.
    Ronald

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Empty 1 gal. milk jugs. (Washed out well.) They're easy to obtain and cheap.
    Reuse them a few times and, when they get messy, toss them in the recycle bin and get new.
    If you are using distilled water from the grocery store, it often comes in 1 gal. plastic jugs.

Plastic soda bottles. 1 liter and 2 liter.
    Again, you have a practically inexhaustible supply!

Is there a shop that sells beer and wine making supplies near you?
    They often sell 1 gallon glass jugs with screw-on tops.
    There's a beer making shop called "Bierhaus International" right around the corner from my house.
    The last time I went there to get bottles he said, "You're the photography guy, aren't you?"

Like the others say, if your bottles are clear or translucent, keep them in the dark.
    Put them in the cupboard under the sink and you'll be fine. All you need to do is minimize the light that gets to them.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Developers and HCA go bad from exposure to oxygen. For these two chemicals, it is better (in my opinion) to have a bunch of smaller bottles than one big one. I have many 250cc bottles for these and fill it to the top.... For HCA, if not full, I squeeze the bottle to get all the air out.

For a fixer, you can use a gallon container.

You can really use ANY container that's air tight. Just mark it well so no one will confuse them with drinks.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't use bleach bottles!

Pop bottles work well with developer - several small ones are preferable to using one big one.

Clamato Juice containers are some of my favourites .

Just make sure that they are really well labelled (make them obvious and UGLY) and have a really good seal.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ronald,
    What are you wanting to use the gallon jugs for?
    If to store chemistry, you'll find that developers ( at least) will die long before the jug is far gone.
    Better to use smaller bottles.
    For developer, I prefer amber glass bottles, about 12 oz (341ml actually), which you can seal perfectly with a crown capper.
    These containers can be obtained for $0.10 each in Ontario at any Brewers' Retail store.

Shooter
    35mm
    Milk jugs are a terrible choice. Not only are they made of thin LDPE which is quite oxygen permeable, but they are cheaply made and leak at the slightest abuse.

Better to use PET juice bottles.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Milk jugs are a terrible choice. Not only are they made of thin LDPE which is quite oxygen permeable, but they are cheaply made and leak at the slightest abuse.

Better to use PET juice bottles.
    f/22 and be there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin