Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,742   Online: 934

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I added a new cabinet and flat file to the darkroom. The whole process is documented in my old construction blog: http://newdr.blogspot.com/2013/10/up...binet-and.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails installed.jpg  
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ^ what a beautiful darkroom. You'd probably faint at the sight of mine...
    it's in the wash/laundry room, separated only by the black roofing paper. The great mystery is the lack of dust on my negatives/prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rmann View Post
    It is fairly small - 100 square feet

hehe this just prompted me to go and measure the space i build my darkroom in when i want to print: the floor space in which to fit enlarger plus paper, negatives, and whatnots various, including me, comes to 17 square feet; but I do have the luxury of a shelf of 3½ square feet to put my trays on ...

it's a bit like Saturnine_Zero's setup in fact

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

First darkroom not in parent's house bathroom

I was going through old negatives recently and found these that I didn't know I had. It was in a rent house I lived in when first out of college (mid 1970s), and the owner/landlord was an amateur photographer. He had built this room on the back of his laundry room, but it was a dry darkroom. However, the common wall it shared with the laundry was the wall with the plumbing, so (with the landlord's permission) it wasn't too hard to have a brother-in-law come over and put a sink in the darkroom. Hot and cold running water - what more can you ask? The owner had also painted the whole thing flat black: walls, floor, ceiling! I left the area behind the enlargers black, but painted the walls and the ceiling on the wet side white. Took several coats as I recall. I also put in an AC unit and had a little heater. There was no insulation!

That's a Lucky enlarger (they're really not bad) and a Chromega B that I bought to "get into" color. I was doing prints from color negs and slides in Chromega drums, but color just never took, ya know?

It was 4x6 feet and I thought I had died and gone to darkroom heaven! (My current darkroom is 12x18)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails black darkroom 1.jpg   black darkroom 2.jpg   black darkroom 3.jpg  
    David

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format

4 sheets to the wind

Quote Originally Posted by mesantacruz View Post
    ^ what a beautiful darkroom. You'd probably faint at the sight of mine...
    it's in the wash/laundry room, separated only by the black roofing paper. The great mystery is the lack of dust on my negatives/prints.
    Damp's a wonderful thing sometimes!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Since I posted in the original darkroom portrait thread, I've moved and built a new darkroom. I posted these over on LFF so I thought I'd post some updates here as well...

The first series of pics shows the wet side with 16' of sink that I built and lined with PVC. I made these for the previous darkroom and re-installed them in the current one. They've held up pretty well over the years. I keep the Jobo processor at one end.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00116.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	333.0 KB 
ID:	77113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00117.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	351.2 KB 
ID:	77114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00118.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	398.5 KB 
ID:	77115Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00125.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	305.1 KB 
ID:	77116

I also have a Kreonite 30" processor for RA-4 that I got for free. I only fire it up when I want to run 30"x40" RA-4 prints. 20x24 and smaller get run through the Jobo.

Name:	DSC00119.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	289.2 KB 
ID:	77117

The dry side is in an adjacent room connected by an open doorway. I have four LPL enlargers wall mounted which frees up lots of counter space plus makes a much more rigid mount. Two are set up with 4x5 mixing boxes one for color and one for B&W. The other two are set up with medium format mixing chambers one for color and one for B&W.

Name:	DSC00121.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	415.2 KB 
ID:	77118

For my 8x10 format I have a Durst 2501 horizontal enlarger with a 4'x4' easel that is wall mounted. I use magnets to position the paper. What a great machine.

Name:	DSC00122.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	283.8 KB 
ID:	77119

Since most color paper comes in roll form now, I have a wall mounted paper dispenser that comes in very handy.

Name:	DSC00124.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	77120

This darkroom has worked out pretty well and I would only change a few things if I were to do it again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blimey! I'm gobsmacked. Yer coud nock me darn wiv a fevver.
    I salute you. Never seen anything like it
    youngrichard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well played! Lots to love in that room. Tell me about your paper dispenser.
    where are you in Michigan?
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyMark View Post
    Well played! Lots to love in that room. Tell me about your paper dispenser.
    where are you in Michigan?
    I'm just South of you in St. Joseph. What would you like to know about the dispenser? It's a 52" Rollma AD 52VPL.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have two enlargers. I have more than one enlarger timer, but I really like the StopClock, so I built the switch in the "before" picture so that I could control either of them with the StopClock without unplugging and replugging. Then, the power strip came into play so that I could shut off power to everything with one switch. (Both enlargers, all safelights, and timer) All this was plugged into the wall (mains) through a surge protector. Well, it was messy, so I got a wild hair and built this switching unit. The surge protector is internal, and there is a main switch to shut everything off. I still have both enlargers set up with the one timer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stopclocksmall.jpg  
    David

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin