Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,779   Online: 1130

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Imagine a sort of "inverse TARDIS" ... but buying a stainless steel "Ikea" kitchen trolley has made it possible to set up in less than ½ an hour, and added about 6ft2 to my workspace

I haven't got a wide enough angle of view lens (except a pinhole) to get in the bathroom and show what it looks like from the inside (when standing at the enlarger, I can almost lean back to rest on the on the wall behind me)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Nicely done. The key to getting use of a temporary darkroom is to make it quick and easy to set up and take down.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Imagine a sort of "inverse TARDIS" ... but buying a stainless steel "Ikea" kitchen trolley has made it possible to set up in less than ½ an hour, and added about 6ft2 to my workspace

I haven't got a wide enough angle of view lens (except a pinhole) to get in the bathroom and show what it looks like from the inside (when standing at the enlarger, I can almost lean back to rest on the on the wall behind me)
    I like that Idea!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    The key to getting use of a temporary darkroom is to make it quick and easy to set up and take down.
    Almost everything needed stays on the trolley, so takes just a few seconds to wheel in; but pinning up blackouts, putting down newspapers for spills and making up chemicals & carrying them in takes 20 minutes or a little more, depending how energetic I feel.
    The most time-consuming bit is afterwards - tidying & washing up, washing prints & so on.

It underlines for me that the "master" printers (past and present) who learned their early skills printing in similar conditions simply have that extra "something" in their makeup that I don't. I can produce a decent enough print for just me to look at, or even to give as a token gift, but exhibition or "fine" print? ... never happen.

Shooter
    Large Format

Darkroom Portraits (Part 2)

This the darkroom I've been working on for a few months, it's small, 91 SF approx 7'-9' x 11'-9" (2.9 x 3.5 meters for those of you across the pond). It has 3 enlargers, A Durst SM-183 for 5x7 & 4x5 with a motorized CLS 301 head. Also have a condenser head and a cold light for it. Tomorrow I work on the cord clutter around the Durst. Also an LPL 4500II for formats up to 4x5 with VCCE & Dichroic modules and finally a Leitz Valloy II, probably the finest 135 enlarger made. To the left of the Durst are two filtered louvered air intakes, the exhausts are over the sink. There is Thomas Duplex as well as an LED Zone VI safelight. The sink is a 6' SS Leedal that I bought some 25 years ago and have had it in 3 darkrooms since. There is a digital Intellifaucet K250, and an Elkay chiller for temperature control. That way I can get 70 Deg water year round (the water gets over 80 Deg here in the summer). Next to the sink is a Zone VI 8x10 print washer and a Kostiner film washer that takes 8x10 frames. I also have an 11 x 14 print washer that I set up when needed. There is a Cal Stainless drying cabinet. It's very workable for one person, and I can process film up to 8x10 which I contact print. There's a flat file storage cabinet on a second story loft and a film freezer outside the darkroom. Hopefully my final darkroom!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM183:301.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	79117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LPL.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	261.5 KB 
ID:	79119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wetside.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	79120

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I am in the process to build a new shed and place my darkroom there, since my old location has been flooded countless times lately.
    Unfortunately I will have to wait until April, since in March I have a show and I need to make 26 16 x 20 prints. For this I have arranged a temporary darkroom in the garage. This plan refers to the darkoom in the shed.

Name:	NEWDARKROOM.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	79180
    For prints sales, workshops and individual lessons,
    please, check my website

My APUG Portfolio
    http://www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=196<p>

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Darkroom Updates

Here are a few before and after pix from my darkroom about two years ago and today. The walls were flaking and it was a bit icky feeling to be down there some times. Problematically, I had one electrical circuit on the far side of the basement, so I had to have extension cords all over the place to power everything.

Two years ago:

Name:	20111023-05.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	81046
    You can see the flaking walls and crap piled everywhere. (No, that's not my doll house.)

Name:	20111023-04.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	967.6 KB 
ID:	81047
    Not very inviting. Rug doubles as a putting green.

Today:

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	510.1 KB 
ID:	81048
    Freshly primed and painted walls, and a new 15AMP electrical circuit to feed everything! I love working with conduit. Still draining into a bucket.

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	521.8 KB 
ID:	81051
    New enlarger (man, I miss that LPL…) and cheesy Rembrandt reproduction. I turned the enlarger table so that the back is where I want to build a partition. Eventually the table will either be cabinets or just a heavy plywood mounted to the wall. I will probably wall mount the sink as well. Electrical right where it needs to be. On the far right you can just barely see my light box on a metal table.

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	492.5 KB 
ID:	81053
    You can see the electrical conduit on the right, with a switched inspection light (finally!) on the ceiling which you can see in the first picture. Old Kodak Polycontrast filter set for that retro touch.

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	372.5 KB 
ID:	81057
    Here's my setup for Sir Thomas Duplex, with a switched outlet in the ceiling. No more extension cord hanging down, and having to plug and unplug. Just flick the switch and go. It's configured with black foam core on one vane and lots of Rolux on both sides, so I can easily make it very dark if needed, or pop open the vanes and create a beautiful bounce light off the wall. Creepy clown head for atmosphere.

Eventually, I will lose the garden hose and bucket and get everything properly plumbed. For now, very happy. This setup still allows me to do 16x20 if I need, although I suspect my needs will be 11x14 max for the most part. I will add a rolling table with my 18x23 stainless holding bath, and another stainless steel cart will hold the print washer so it can be moved in when I need it. The space will be about 8x10, very compact but totally comfortable and serviceable, with plenty of storage.
    Last edited by ParkerSmithPhoto; 01-27-2014 at 08:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Love the hiding clown, parker!
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    ... I turned the enlarger table so that the back is where I want to build a partition.

... Eventually, I will lose the garden hose and bucket and get everything properly plumbed. ...
    When you get proper plumbing and walls, you'll think you've died and gone to darkroom heaven.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Parker - Looks fantastic. Is the Tommy Light the only safelight? If so is it bright enough? I am just laying out a new 7 foot by 11 foot dark space and I am wondering if one Thomas Light will do the trick.

Thanks,
    Jon

Edit: Doh, sorry for the dumbest post ever. I finally got off my butt and checked the other Thomas threads and more importantly plugged in the dang unit that is awaiting installation down in the basement. The entire 24 by 36 foot space is now bright enough to perform ocular surgery!
    Last edited by jon koss; 02-24-2014 at 08:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin