Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,525   Posts: 1,543,902   Online: 1043

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This thread has sort of stalled. Allow me to get your juices flowing again ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DRpano.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    3 enlargers, 2 sinks and in-the-wall pressure hose?

Holy moly.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Wow it certainly does!
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    WoW! Like in a dream ... one day...one day

Shooter
    Multi Format

Almost Completed !

After years of planning / dreaming, I'm about to complete my darkroom build. One last project is to install the revolving darkroom door. I secured the door on eBay and drove 2 1/2 hours away to haul it home. I was so concerned about the door fitting in my SUV ( it stuck out the back a couple of ft) that I neglected to figure out how I was going to get it through my basement door. Turns out the door will need to be completely disassembled ( thousands of rivets!) and rebuilt again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	803.4 KB 
ID:	90367Click image for larger version. 

Views:	103 
Size:	728.3 KB 
ID:	90368
    Last edited by Markauf; 06-29-2014 at 06:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markauf View Post
    After years of planning / dreaming, I'm about to complete my darkroom build. One last project is to install the revolving darkroom door. I secured the door on eBay and drove 2 1/2 hours away to haul it home. I was so concerned about the door fitting in my SUV ( it stuck out the back a couple of ft) that I neglected to figure out how I was going to get it through my basement door. Turns out the door will need to be completely disassembled ( thousands of rivets!) and rebuilt again!

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	111 
Size:	803.4 KB 
ID:	90367Click image for larger version. 

Views:	103 
Size:	728.3 KB 
ID:	90368
    Can you take your basement door out instead?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't get the appeal of those revolving doors for a personal darkroom. They take up a lot of space and they're a pain to use (compared to a simple door). If you have multiple people continually entering and exiting a group darkroom, they make sense--otherwise, I'm not sure of the benefits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Removing the basement door and the molding will still not allow for the width of the door.
    I wanted to go the route of the revolving door to reduce dust from the rest of the basement into the darkroom and thought it would also be easier to take prints outside into the light without putting away paper ( I have a print inspection area set up just outside the door). Space wasn't really an issue, as the rest of the basement is unfinished storage space.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markauf View Post
    I was so concerned about the door fitting in my SUV ( it stuck out the back a couple of ft) that I neglected to figure out how I was going to get it through my basement door. Turns out the door will need to be completely disassembled ( thousands of rivets!) and rebuilt again!
    Oh, thank you for this post. You saved me the trouble of finding out the hard way.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd not want to carry prints through a revolving door (post #118, above). You need two hands for the print, one hand for the door and have very limited space. Also, in prehistoric times (25 years ago, when I worked in a darkroom) usually there would be a wide standard door for moving kit in and out of the darkroom as a revolving door is just meant to let people walk in and out without letting the dark out all the time . . .

To get large prints in and out of the darkroom, while keeping it dark, make a light-lock going through the partition wall - simply a boxed-in table with a lift up door on each side of the wall. Put the print in a tray in the dark and close the light-lock door, walk through your light-proof exit from the darkroom, open the 'light' side of the light-lock and pick up your print out of the tray. Much easier than carrying a soggy print through any kind of revolving door and you can have two people working, one in the dark and one in the light, if you can coordinate between each other about the light-lock.

I must also say that most of the darkrooms I see in this thread are better equipped and laid out than the professional ones I have worked in! It is possible to do a lot with much less, especially at amateur work rates. My (amateur) darkroom now doesn't have a sink or running water for example, but 16x20" prints are still do-able regularly.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin