Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,538   Posts: 1,572,756   Online: 841

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    I must also say that most of the darkrooms I see in this thread are better equipped and laid out than the professional ones I have worked in! It is possible to do a lot with much less, especially at amateur work rates. My (amateur) darkroom now doesn't have a sink or running water for example, but 16x20" prints are still do-able regularly.
    My current darkroom (pictured above) is much better equipped than the one I designed, built and equipped for an employer in the 1980s. However, I am sure that I spent a lot less (even in inflation adjusted dollars) than the "professional" 1980s one cost my boss. Analog gear is so cheap now, I have things I could have never dreamed of even 15 years ago. And, it just accumulates.

So, yes, it is possible to do a lot more with a bit less. But if you have the space and the resources, it's just nice to have better tools.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4732.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	93528

Current status of the darkroom. I've been shrinking my footprint and now have a space laid out about 9'x10'. Sold the 4x5 enlarger and now have a 23C. Seems about perfect for my workload.

The needed two walls would enclose the pole on the left and the stud on the far right.

Still draining into a bucket, but I love having a switched safe light and an inspection light.

My personal motto: "When in doubt, add more electrical outlets."
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    35mm

Name:	IMG_4807.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	546.5 KB 
ID:	94692
    Here's the new darkroom setup. Ikea desk for a workbench, Ikea wheeled organizer for enlarger stand.

The huge shelving unit is going to be swapped for a narrower one from the garage at some point to get some elbow room, and then probably an Ikea cabinet for the wall over the workbench with LED lights underneath. Will also need some speakers for some music/podcasts. Awfully boring right now in there. Also the baby will be big enough for the playgym and we can get that obnoxious thing out of there.

At some point I'm going to add the ability to mount my reloading press so that I don't have to do that in the garage when it's 10 below zero. This will be a multifunction workshop when all is said and done. Dirty projects in the garage, cleaner projects indoors. I'm so excited.

In the corner behind that shelf there are hookups for a sink, which used to be in the room when it was a darkroom years ago. My mother-in-law ripped out the sink and counter to make it a storage room. Maybe at some point I'll put in a small sink for print washing, but there is already a sink in the laundry room just outside the door which serves the purpose well enough for now.

-J.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post

Name:	IMG_4732.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	93528

Current status of the darkroom. I've been shrinking my footprint and now have a space laid out about 9'x10'. Sold the 4x5 enlarger and now have a 23C. Seems about perfect for my workload.

The needed two walls would enclose the pole on the left and the stud on the far right.

Still draining into a bucket, but I love having a switched safe light and an inspection light.

My personal motto: "When in doubt, add more electrical outlets."
    I (finally) decided on a layout for the darkroom and decided to get busy. I've posted over the last few years the various evolution of the darkroom but I've always had to work in the basement with the windows covered up. Since I have a corner, I only needed to build two walls, and this was the weekend to get started.

The most difficult part is to get the bottom plates square to the walls and to each other. Just kept checking the measurements and then tacked it down with the hammer drill and concrete screws. Rather than running a top plate I tacked the studs to the open floor joists up top. I'll post more details later. For now, it's quitting time. Not that I want to stop, just have a family thing...

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	94940

Yeah, baby! Yeah!
    Atlanta, GA

Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Name:	Darkroom_Panorama-1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	354.7 KB 
ID:	95190

Pulled down the old ductwork and got the walls mostly finished, still have to frame in the door, do the electrical, plumbing, etc. but I wanted to do some work and get used to the layout before I slapped up the sheetrock only to realize "darn, I should have added an outlet over here!" So I temporarily added some black plastic. Final size of the space is 9x11. Not huge but should be plenty for what I'm doing.

Looking through the wall on the far left is where my temp control unit will mount, with taps that extend along the sink, and one that will come through to the facing side of the wall for a small print washing sink. Hot and cold water lines are directly above.

On the right I will build a 30" deep table for the enlarger, paper safes and all that jazz.

Fun!
    Last edited by ParkerSmithPhoto; 09-26-2014 at 11:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Atlanta, GA

Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin