Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,507   Online: 1098

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    GKR1...

I thought i recognized those places, it's SD alright. wonderful photos, and awesome framing

there's a group of us meeting on the 9th of june, if you look up San Diego APUG meeting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Darkroom Portraits (Part 2)

Here's a picture of my very modest darkroom after building new benches for enlargers and processing trays.
    Our house is absolutely tiny, and there isn't room for a darkroom other than in the basement, which isn't finished, insulated, or heated. In the winter it's about 40F / 5C in there, so I need tray heaters. Up until now I've used a water jacket, which is a pain in the butt, but recently I've been able to save up enough photo cash to have an electrician come in and install new electrical circuits, so that I can use electric tray-warmers instead. That will be a heaven sent.
    A standard double utility sink is behind me, where the print washer sits. The enlarger table at the far left now fits all three enlargers.
    Wish I had a heated space to work, but this is something that works at least. Just need to dress warm in the winter and equip myself with something nice and warm to drink. Hot chocolate with rum, perhaps? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369695822.482731.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	69367
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 05-27-2013 at 11:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Looks great T! Nice n sturdy! Whoa - I spy the fabled Ektalure stash! There better be bars on that window or there might be the great Ektalure heist of 2013...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Wish I had a heated space to work, but this is something that works at least. Just need to dress warm in the winter and equip myself with something nice and warm to drink. Hot chocolate with rum, perhaps?
    You probably already know this, Thomas, but those oil filled radiators do a terrific job heating in small spaces, much better than the "hair dryer in a box" heaters. They need some time to get up to temp, though.

I prefer the hot buttered rum myself. However, I live in Georgia where what winter we have lasts about five hours. It's been Spring since February.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    You probably already know this, Thomas, but those oil filled radiators do a terrific job heating in small spaces, much better than the "hair dryer in a box" heaters. They need some time to get up to temp, though.

I prefer the hot buttered rum myself. However, I live in Georgia where what winter we have lasts about five hours. It's been Spring since February.
    Oh, indeed, and I appreciate your comment! Space heaters are great. My basement is one big unfinished room, however, and not insulated. There isn't a space heater in the world that can keep it warm in there, not without wasting enormous amounts of energy. The walls are extremely cold, as the outside is sometimes as low as -30*F. That's why tray heaters is the only sensible option.
    In the future I dream of taking a space of the basement where I can build around the darkroom, insulate, and then heat it. But then enter 70-90% humidity in the summer, and things like mold becomes a problem instead... The house is over 100 years old, and conditions in the basement do not really lend themselves well to energy efficient heating and cooling.

Speaking of rum, I've been liking my Manhattans lately, one part sweet Vermouth, three parts good rye Whisky, a few drops of bitters, and a maraschino cherry. So I discovered that the same drink can be made, substituting the rye whisky for rum, and it's called a Havana Club. Very tasty indeed! Makes you a wizard printer in no time too (until the day after).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas, is your darkroom walled off from the rest of the basement at all? When we lived in Minnie, I enclosed my wife's basement exercise area with sheet plastic hung from the rafters, and used one of those oil-filled heaters ParkerSmith mentions. It helped a lot.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It is fairly small - 100 square feet and I think I am using almost all of it. Enlarger is a Beseler VXL with a Beseler 8x10 head on a Fotar stand with a drop table. Sink is a little small, if I could design it again I would have more sink and less countertop. Light table is from an old print shop and the center island is made from a Sears tool cart and workbench.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	darkroom 001.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	339.2 KB 
ID:	69534

Name:	darkroom 002.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	331.3 KB 
ID:	69535

Name:	darkroom 003.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	283.9 KB 
ID:	69536

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Splitting the large portraits thread (also, keep in mind we have a gallery category for this as well: http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browseimages.php?c=517 ).

Until now I have built five darkrooms. But there are still things to improve. And everytime I study other peoples darkrooms, I learn one or two nice tricks.
    I recently set up another darkroom. We are renting a house which had a room built on the back of the garage - about 19'x8' which I used for the darkroom. It had windows, but no water, so I covered the windows with plywood, and brought water in through the windows, and pump waste water back out through the window.

Starting on the dry side - I have a row of cabinets to keep stuff in - next to that is a home made cabinet which I store chemicals in.

Name:	IMG_20130602_135214_448.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	304.4 KB 
ID:	69657

On the other side of the door, there is a table which holds my dry mount press, with drying screens below, and then the enlarger table:

Name:	IMG_20130602_135145_912.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	69658

The enlarger is a Ilford MG600 on a Beseler 45MX Chassis - storage for easels and paper safes below:

Name:	IMG_20130602_135158_941.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	431.4 KB 
ID:	69659

On the wet side, I have two 6' sinks, it would be better if the sinks were just a bit wider. 16x20 and 20x24 are doable, but require juggling. The sinks are plumbed with hot, cold and tempered water.
    A wire rack above the sink allows me to put things up there to dry, and they drip into the sink. There is also a strip of clothespins to hold film to dry over the sink.

Name:	IMG_20130602_135116_631.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	368.8 KB 
ID:	69660

I built a cabinet which holds my Jobo Processor, and allows it to drain into the sink next to it.

Name:	IMG_20130406_150913_542.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	370.4 KB 
ID:	69661

Safelight comes from a pair of Agfa low pressure sodium vapor lights.

I've been pretty happy with the darkroom - good place to retreat from the world!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice approach with the Jobo, though it would not work in my more limited space.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Here's a picture of my very modest darkroom after building new benches for enlargers and processing trays. <snip...>

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369695822.482731.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	69367
    A cosy space all the same, Thomas and a lovely V35 to warm the insides the hot chocolate does not reach
    Regards
    Charles

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin