Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,760   Online: 924

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    The Nikor reel comes with a metal band to keep them all in place. Or are you saying there would be so much drag it would collapse the sheets and let them pull out along the edges and get all crinkled in together in the cage?

Duncan
    Humm. I didn't realize there was a keeper band. That might work. But a Nikor tank isn't any cheaper than a Photo-therm insert. It just has more capacity.

Cutting up a Patterson us exactly what I have been thinking about. But I would sure like to see one someone else has done first.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here's a couple of pictures showing the keeper band on the Nikor tank. Forget rotary processing, the film will fall out with hand agitation without that band! Sadly, a lot of Nikor 4x5 tanks you see for sale are missing it - check closely before buying one. (You can always just use a rubber band or two to hold the film in, but the band is so much more useful.)

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was actually just talking with the lab tech at my local camera shop about these. Apparently they were made by Phototherm using a generic plastic reel, cut to fit 4x5. It was a good concept, but he said that in practice the inner sheet would end up slipping off the reel, causing the two inner sheets to have uneven development and scratching.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    35mm
    Is this any use to you,MOD Photographic 5x4 Film holder For Paterson 3 Reel Tank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt_Lzd3LUnQ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Phototherm 4x5 made from Patterson reels

Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    I was actually just talking with the lab tech at my local camera shop about these. Apparently they were made by Phototherm using a generic plastic reel, cut to fit 4x5. It was a good concept, but he said that in practice the inner sheet would end up slipping off the reel, causing the two inner sheets to have uneven development and scratching.
    I just referenced this thread in another, so I thought I would come back and put in some pictures in case someone finds it in a search.

I did not win the auction I listed in the opening post, and after a while that item is going to crawl out of eBay's cache and vanish.

But I did correspond with the seller, and he was kind enough to take some snapshots of the reels before shipping them to the winner.

Here are some pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351230968.866475.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	58948

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351231004.754135.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	58949

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351231036.628312.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	58950

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351231060.346636.jpg 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	58951

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351231093.547460.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	58952

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351231122.932485.jpg 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	58953

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351231157.567178.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	58954

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351231183.120424.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	58955

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351231209.433143.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	58956
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    YES. If someone could figure out how to do this with 5x7 I would bow down to them in WORSHIP if they put plans up. I'm pretty handy with a number of fun tools.

I think what will end up working best is a system somewhat like the Mod54 setup. I mean, it's pretty neat. It would be pretty easy to homebrew, really, and I think you could do 3 5x7 in the same Paterson tank that you can do 5 4x5 in. I'm going to hit Lowes this weekend because, well, I like it there, so I'll see what I can do. I'll burn a sheet of 5x7 for the cause. I found a film holder hiding in my daughter's room that's loaded.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Phototherm 4x5 made from Patterson reels

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    ...I'm pretty handy with a number of fun tools...
    Ok, I'm working out of town for the foreseeable future, so I'll try to describe what I have been thinking and you can test it out. I am not in a position to do it from a hotel room across country from my darkroom.

First you have to open the reel. They come apart pretty easily.

Then hunt in the PVC, ABS, CPVC piping at (somewhere - Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware) for a piece of pipe that has an I.D. big enough to accept the smaller hub from the reel. But hopefully not too big.

I think CPVC will be the thinnest. So that's my first choice.

I expect you'll have to reduce the smaller hub and ream out the larger one. But one should be able to make a fixed reel of any arbitrary width with the pipe extending the middle. And as long as the ends are cut square then one can expect to butt the bottom flush and the unit will be square as well.

Obviously the width should be sized to accept the 5" dimensions of the film. I don't know if the 5" side of 4x5 and the 5" side of 5x7 are exactly the same or not.

This should be a reel that you could push sheets of film into the spiral slots if you tried. I suspect the plastic pipe glues will work to hold it all together.

Now, you cannot just push sheets of film into the reel because they'll move and overlap, ruining your film during processing. Also, the 5" edge presents a giant lip for the liquid to pull the film out of the slots. So the next piece is crucial.

We'll need stabilizers between sheets of film, and at the front edge of the first sheet as well as the trailing edge of the last sheet.

Phototherm made the 120 stabilizers out of 1" mini blinds. So this is a pretty good material. Steal the bottom one or two blades, down where a bunch pack together, from a regular 1" plastic mini blind.

The stabilizers need to be cut to length so they'll slip into the spiral like a crossbar.

Obviously "just a piece of mini blind" will not prevent the sheet from slipping, so we'll need to use them as pockets somehow. My thinking is to take two pieces cut to length, then sew them together so that they can clamp the film edge.

Sewing right down the middle will make the pocket too big, so my suspicion is that it will take two seams to make adequate pockets.

One stabilizer needs to go into the spool first to hold the leading edge of the first sheet. Then the first sheet needs to be loaded. After the first sheet another stabilizer with the trailing edge of the first sheet secured. A second sheet goes in with its leading edge inserted into the back of the stabilizer bar. Then a stabilizer bar bringing up the rear.

I'm certain that two sheets will fit, and three might fit. Three sheets is only 21 inches into the spiral, but sheet film is thick compared to roll film, so getting it to insert all the way to the center is foolhardy.

Does any of this make sense? It's tough to describe a vision in words.
    Michael Batchelor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin