Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,646   Online: 1126

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Phototherm 4x5 made from Patterson reels

I have recently seen two eBay auctions of Phototherm units with 4x5 inserts that were made out of Patterson reels.

One currently listed is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHOTO-THERM-...99344643062561

Look at the eighth picture.

The one which recently closed, and I did not win, was for a broken unit. Here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc

Look at the third picture, the unit on the left.

Has anyone ever seen one of these 4x5 inserts? Got any pictures? Can you make one at home out of things laying around?
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael:

Are you sure these weren't actually put together by Phototherm themselves?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Michael:

Are you sure these weren't actually put together by Phototherm themselves?
    They may well be. But they aren't like the ones Phototherm has now. And the ones Phototherm has now cost a fortune.

What I want is a chance to examine one of these up close and personal. Or at least get a good set of pictures.

I've tried to scheme a way to make a 4x5 holder as well as a 5x7 holder using Patterson reels as the ends of a cage. But I've never been successful. So I really want to know what this looks like. Especially if it works.

MB
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    35mm
    The 4x5 insert that is with the one I use looks nothing like that pattersonstein. Dunno.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    The 4x5 insert that is with the one I use looks nothing like that pattersonstein. Dunno.
    Neither does mine. Which is exactly why I want information about the Pattersonstein.

The current holder is next to impossible to duplicate except in mass production.

Morgan's MOD processor is pretty good, but it could never hold the sheets in for rotary use.

But I must have 40 Patterson reels that have found their way to me over the years. Most are just collecting dust.
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd be interested in this too. I have one of the Phototherm ones (Ouch!), and thought about DIYing something with patterson reels too. Will look at the pics and see if i can help. Has anyone contacted Phototherm about this? Maybe they made them back in the day before doing their current version...

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's another crazy idea... how about taking the rotation spindle for a Phototherm, (the piece that looks like this: http://www.phototherm.com/interctr/pvw2.gif ) and somehow fitting it to the guts of a Nikor 4x5 tank? What is the diameter of the hole in the middle of the nikor 4x5 reel? I wonder if the phototherm spindle could be made smaller diameter (it seems like it's a little wide, from just eyeballing the pictures). That might allow 12 sheets of 4x5 per run of the phototherm, assuming chemical coverage was high enough... ?

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Here's another crazy idea... how about taking the rotation spindle for a Phototherm, (the piece that looks like this: http://www.phototherm.com/interctr/pvw2.gif ) and somehow fitting it to the guts of a Nikor 4x5 tank? What is the diameter of the hole in the middle of the nikor 4x5 reel? I wonder if the phototherm spindle could be made smaller diameter (it seems like it's a little wide, from just eyeballing the pictures). That might allow 12 sheets of 4x5 per run of the phototherm, assuming chemical coverage was high enough... ?

-Ed
    You couldn't rotate 12 sheets. They wouldn't stay in the reel. Too much dynamic drag on the film edge.
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    You couldn't rotate 12 sheets. They wouldn't stay in the reel. Too much dynamic drag on the film edge.
    The Nikor reel comes with a metal band to keep them all in place. Or are you saying there would be so much drag it would collapse the sheets and let them pull out along the edges and get all crinkled in together in the cage?

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about taking a Patterson reel, cutting the the central post and gluing in an extender? I'm sure you already thought of this and rejected it for some obvious reason I am just to thick to have seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin