Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,819   Online: 829

Shooter
    35mm RF

Durst M600 v Meopta Axomat 5

I am just in the process of setting up my darkroom - well a dark room shared with the laundry ;-) I've picked up two enlargers recently... a Durst M600 and a Meopta Axomat 5. I have a selection of lenses I can use, but will probably start with a Nikkor 50 f2.8 based on recommendations here.

I am only interested in 35mm (for now) and was wondering if anyone could advise which enlarger might be better to start with? They both seem in good condition but on first inspection I think I like the Axomat's loading system better. Not sure if this is the reality in practice. I'll get around to trying both, but if anyone could offer some advice I'd appreciate it. I guess I am after ease-of-use - that's the main criteria.

Thank you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Go with whichever one has more accessories with it (negative carriers etc.) It's not hard to find enlargers second hand these days, but it's extremely tricky sometimes to find all the missing bits you need!!

~S

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Steinberg2010 View Post
    Go with whichever one has more accessories with it (negative carriers etc.) It's not hard to find enlargers second hand these days, but it's extremely tricky sometimes to find all the missing bits you need!!

~S
    Good advice - thanks. Both have everything I need however. I guess the only possible tangible differences would be quality of carriers (ability to hold film flat) and the quality of the light source. Not sure if one considered better than the other. Durst has more of a reputation but I am assuming the Axomat is a more recent enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Durst throws more light.
    If you ever have to make a big enlargement of an overexposed negative with an Axomat you will get bored...
    A minor annoyance, really.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Does either have a colour head? If so, I'd suggest that one so you can use multigrade paper without filters.

Shooter
    35mm
    I own the M600 and though the enlarger is durable, the negative carrier design is my least favorite of any enlarger I've used.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks everyone. Started printing today with guidance from a fellow apuger (thanks tomalophicon!) using the Meopta. Went really well! I just like the neg carrier better but will definitely try the Durst with some 6x6 negs very soon. I am sure I will bore you all with questions over the coming months ;-) Thanks for your help. So far so good!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin