Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,546   Online: 1136

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Vivitar E-34 filter drawer

I have 2 enlargers that I got at a thrift store. One is a Beseler 67C in perfect working order, and the other is a Vivitar E-34. The vivitar is missing it's filter drawer. I know I could just tape up the hole that the drawer goes into and use graded paper, but I would like to be able to use it with VC paper. I was thinking about fabricating a new filter drawer to go into it, but I've been unable to find a manual that shows the original drawer.

Do any of you fine folks happen to have this enlarger? If so, could you be convinced to post a couple of photos of the filter drawer from different angles so that I can see what it looks like? I would like to use it, but if I can't figure out how to put filters in it, I will probably just give it away.

Somebody may ask why I want to use the vivitar when I have a perfectly good beseler right next to it. The reason is that the Vivitar is already set up for 6x6 and I've got a bunch of old MF negatives of very old family photos belonging to my wife and would love to be able to print them for her.

Thanks,

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqEOKj8E4pbs3UTGBOQJ(jCW9g~~0_3.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	51035

Shooter
    Large Format

Consider Below-the-Lens Filters

Finding the specific filter drawer for a long gone enlarger is unlikely. Graded papers are now mostly available in a limited number of grades, mostly 2 and 3. That’s too limiting.

You can use below-the-lens filters with ANY enlarger. Ilford makes a set with a filter holder that attaches to the lens barrel via 3 aluminum thumb screws with soft rubber contacts that grip the lens barrel. Many of us use this. It works well. They can be bought new or used on eBay.

The old Vivitar enlarger will work perfectly with a set of below-the-lens multigrade filters.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Set_with.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh... I didn't realize that you could get the under-the-lens holders. I thought you had to have one on the enlarger already. My beseler has one on it that is attached to the enlarger head.

I can't immagine that a new filter drawer would be hard to make if I had the measurements of the original. I may just go with an under-the-lens solution, though. I have some under-the-lens filters already.

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just buy an extra lensboard for the Beseler 67C and the necessary negative holder: http://www.ebay.ca/dsc/i.html?_nkw=B...LH_TitleDesc=1

Most likely you can transfer the lens from the Vivitar enlarger to that extra lensboard.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would do that, Matt, but I don't shoot in MF so it's not really worth it to me to spend any real money just to print a few old negs.

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdGallop View Post
    I would do that, Matt, but I don't shoot in MF so it's not really worth it to me to spend any real money just to print a few old negs.

Ed
    Ed:

Where approximately are you? You may be able to borrow what you need from someone nearby.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think I figured it out last night... I'm going to get some black foamboard today to make the lens drawer out of.

I'm just going to wing it using the dimentions of the slot and make sure the filters sit just above the condenser.

Ed

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Ed:

Where approximately are you? You may be able to borrow what you need from someone nearby.

Oh, sorry... I'm in SW Virginia USA

I guess I need to add that to my profile.

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Vivitar E-34 that has the drawer, I'll PM you with dimensions later. It's in the attic and I have to unbox it. Did you get the 6x6 negative carrier insert with yours?
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin