Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,917   Posts: 1,556,410   Online: 1153

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Troubles with "waterproof" thermometer

Take a wild guess. It's a Kalt that appears to be the same design as the Weston, with the dial and the nut on back for adjustment.

The box says "waterproof". The photo store where I bought it says, well, "waterproof" doesn't mean "submersible." Not even down to one inch depth for thirty seconds, I guess.

So, the thing has been out in the sun for a few days now, drying out. Slowly.

Can this thing be disassembled for more rapid drying, or will the nut pop off and a spring depart that I cannot replace? If and when it does dry out, is this defective? I mean, doesn't "waterproof" mean waterproof?

Any advice appreciated. If I can simply dry it out and seal it with some silicon, that would be great. Prefer not to deal with these camera store guys again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Place it in a Zipper Locking Type bag with rice.

I heard that mentioned a few days ago, it was used to dry out a soaked iPhone ...
    Keep Us Updated !

Ron

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hot damn, why did I not think of that! I even have some dessicant packs lying about.

How about sealing it with silicon afterward?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ullsmith View Post
    Hot damn, why did I not think of that! I even have some dessicant packs lying about.

How about sealing it with silicon afterward?
    I'm A Plumber, And A SCUBA Diver, I Can't Live Without Silicone Caulk,
    And Silicone Grease !

Seal That S.O.B. As Soon As It's Dried Out.

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I gave up on dial thermometers. The $9.95 digital cooking thermometers from Target are accurate and just as (un)waterproof. I keep a Kodak process thermometer on hand to check the digital one. And if I ever can't find the kitchen thermometer, I have a spare (and vice versa).

As to waterproofing the Weston/Kalt - it probably isn't worth it. You would have to seal around the nut, the stem and around the glass.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's made like my Weston, you can remove the bezel holding the crystal then let it dry out.
    It will likely be fine, or perhaps as fine as it can be.
    My Weston got flooded, dried out and still works well, I have a certified lab thermometer to check it against every so often.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm using an aquarium thermometer - probe on a wire with digital readout. I've checked it against an expensive thermometer and it seems accurate to about 0.2 degrees, which I think is good enough

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've gone through two kitchen thermometers which worked great until the wire into the probe got wet or shorted. If this doesn't pan out, the aquarium thermometer sounds like a good idea, since it's made to operate with accuracy in the temp ranges I need.

I'm still going to try the silicon, what the heck.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin