Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,975   Posts: 1,523,636   Online: 1108

Shooter
    Multi Format

Jobo 1500 tank question

I have multiple 1500 series tanks and would like to change the lid on one of them from the cog type for rotary processing to the plain one for inversion processing.

Any tips as to how to get the cog cap off?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Technically you cannot get the cog off the lid, once it is clicked on.

That said, somewhere (on this forum I think) someone once said that they had managed to remove the cog drive.

I myself have two tank tops, one with a cog lid one without.

Perhaps a search of the forum, may provide your answer.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I recall from the previous discussions was that the easy solution was to find a stopper that fits the opening.
    The cog is intended as a one way street.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A little known secret - you can easily remove the cog from the lid, with some care and precision, you will not damage either, this is not official procedure, and Jobo did not want you to know this, because of the potential damage to the cog and or lid.

Before doing this consider what has been said above, getting a plug to block the opening in the cog is way simpler....

PROCEED AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION!

take the funnel off.
    turn the lid upside down so the cog is pointing down.
    place the lid on a ledge of something hard, hard top granite of a kitchen is good. support the other side of the lid with something soft to absorb the blow, like your hip.

Now the lid is held firml between your hip and the edge of a hard counter.
    get a flat head screw driver, that is fairly large (a small one will go right through the plastic), and position the top of it at the first indent\curve above the opening in the cog.
    Using a mallet\large head hammer and aim to hit the screw driver with one decisive blow.

raise your hip slightly so the lid is angled towards the hard surface, this will divert most of the energy to seam where the cog is lodged in.

hit the screw driver with one precise and decisive blow (not to hard so to blow the whole thing to bits) but enough to pop the cog out.

The cog will pop out and fall to the ground. The lid is now an inversion lid, and you will need to get the red membrane rubber cap.

Shooter
    35mm
    My stupid suggestion is to leave the cog lid as it is for the very simple reasons that cog lids are more difficult to find and more expensive to buy, and one day you might need one more.

Tanks with normal lids are very easy to find and cheap to buy, I wouldn't sacrifice the "expensive" to obtain the "cheap", at the risk of finding myself with none of them.

Fabrizio

PS I am perfectly aware that this kind of answers, which really don't answer the original question, but question instead its rationale, are not what is generally deemed an useful answer. It's my two cents.

PPS I have recently bought a cog ring to be installed on a normal lid to transform it in a cog lid. The cog alone normally costs like an entire tank, I was lucky to win an auction for a few Euros.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the suggestions -- I think the stopper solution is probably the best.

Not sure why I didn't think of that myself :-).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin