Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,438   Online: 828

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Saunders/LPL 4550XLG Enlarger

I have ordered a new Saunders/LPL 4550XLG enlarger. Unfortunately, I have not received it yet. I was wondering if anyone had a URL where I could download a users manual and study up on it before it arrives. Thanks.

Ron, I have not found a legal donwloadable version of the manual.

I have to say this--there is not much to the manual. There is not all that much to explain. Its a great enlarger. On certain heads there is a light attenuator that if you forget its engaged will cut output by two spot.

Get the focusing attachment--its a flexable want that goes onto the focusing knob for fine focusing control.

You are going to love this enlarger. had my since 1999 and love it.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I bought my 4550XLG on eBay a year ago from someone going the "d" word. It has been wonderful. I'm using it for b&w 6x7cm roll film and 4x5 sheets. I hadn't said anything Ron because I don't know of a download source for documentation. If you need any help when you receive the unit just ask, but set up is quite easy and well described in the manual.

Jeffrey, Thanks. I had not seen a focusing wand in any of the dealer accessory listings. When I am head down on the easel with my eye in the Peak grain focuser the focusing knob can be a long reach.

Having read about such tools on other enlargers I fabricated a substitute out of a length of soft 3/16 clothes line. I ran the head up to the top of the post and simply cut a piece of line long enough to use at the extreme. The focusing knob becomes a pulley with both ends of the line going to my hands. If you keep a little tension on it the line stays on the knob.

Good Luck and ask for help if you need it.

John Powers
    Bath, OH

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    Jeffrey, Thanks. I had not seen a focusing wand in any of the dealer accessory listings. When I am head down on the easel with my eye in the Peak grain focuser the focusing knob can be a long reach.

Having read about such tools on other enlargers I fabricated a substitute out of a length of soft 3/16 clothes line. I ran the head up to the top of the post and simply cut a piece of line long enough to use at the extreme. The focusing knob becomes a pulley with both ends of the line going to my hands. If you keep a little tension on it the line stays on the knob.

Good Luck and ask for help if you need it.

John Powers
    Bath, OH
    I purchased this accessory also... I believe it was a Saunders accessory.
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing much to add other than to concur that you'll have a terrific machine in your darkroom! There's so little to absorb in the manual beyond what it offers for set-up, that you've no need to study anything in advance. The wand sounds like a great idea, but isn't really necessary until you enlarge beyond 11x14 or crop significantly. Have fun....you'll really enjoy working with this enlarger!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Musick
    I have ordered a new Saunders/LPL 4550XLG enlarger. Unfortunately, I have not received it yet. I was wondering if anyone had a URL where I could download a users manual and study up on it before it arrives. Thanks.
    The manual covers the difference in two settings based upon differing filtrations for two types of paper. It has a setting that bypasses the filtration for focusing. The rest of it is "ho hum".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for the information and advise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    So has anyone seen the focusing extension listed anywhere? I've looked around and the only place I've seen it is on Omega Satter's web site where they want $102 USD for it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by foraker
    So has anyone seen the focusing extension listed anywhere? I've looked around and the only place I've seen it is on Omega Satter's web site where they want $102 USD for it.
    I would think that B&H or Calumet would be able to provide it if not in stock. It is vital in my estimation.

Shooter
    Large Format
    After a bit more looking, I finally did mange to track down a couple of sources. Both Calumet and Adorama have the focusing extension for sale, however they both list it as an 'extension shaft' rather than as a 'focusing extension'.
    Adorma: 79.95
    Calumet: 82.99

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin