Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,662   Posts: 1,623,933   Online: 840

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Any recommendations on a timer?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto
    Any recommendations on a timer?
    Zone VI Compensating Enlarger Timer. They show up on eBay every so often.

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sorry it wasn't something easier for you... But good luck with the repair.

When it's up and running, it's an easy to use and a nice light source. (Although I find it not the brightest for 35mm)

Wish I could have been more help,

joe

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Thanks Joe,

I have one more question though. When you change the dial will the color change be noticeable? If so how much?

Thanks again,

Kev

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Hello JIm,

Thank you for the feedback! Now I am going to start searching for a timer!

Thank you again,

Kev

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

VC Litesource

Hi Kev-I have this same unit. As I was getting improper output from one of the lights I sent it in to Calumet. They fixed it el-pronto. Their head repair guy is very knowledgeable. Personnaly I would buy a metrolux timer as the zone-VI is no longer made/god knows when you'll find one on Epay and Metrolux is still in business and will back it up. The last time I sent in my Compensating timer to Calumet the repair dept. was ripping parts out of any old pieces thay had to repair it. It seems the parts suppliers they sourced from are no longer there. I guess my lifetime guarantee from Fred Picker is now officially over! These units are quite good but mine doesn't really give a grade 5. Always preheat the lights and make sure the green lite stays on when you print or you will not get consistant results.
    Regards Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto
    I have one more question though. When you change the dial will the color change be noticeable? If so how much?
    When you change the dials you will see subtle colour changes from green-blue to blue-green... Now if you turn one of them off, you'll get GREEN or BLUE...

BIG jumps of TOTAL colour.

That subtle colour does a big difference to VC paper though.

As for contrast... If I use max soft with no hard I get very low contrast mud... If I use max hard with no soft I get crazy amounts of contrast. Having used the unit for some years, and have tailored negs to print well with it, I'm usually somewhere in the equal amounts range... Figured I'd give myself room to stretch my legs in either direction.

It is true about the green indicator led. It is the indicator that things were on track with the exposure... Usually I'll set my timer to the maximum print time and hit it a bunch of times while I'm setting up my trays etc... That seems to warm things up. Every now and then I'll also do an exposure with no paper... Just to make sure. Even if the first one does fail, the next one always works. It is remarkably consistant so long as the green led stays on.

Good luck,

joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Symchyshyn
    It is true about the green indicator led. It is the indicator that things were on track with the exposure... Usually I'll set my timer to the maximum print time and hit it a bunch of times while I'm setting up my trays etc... That seems to warm things up. Every now and then I'll also do an exposure with no paper... Just to make sure. Even if the first one does fail, the next one always works. It is remarkably consistant so long as the green led stays on.

Good luck,

joe
    If you use the Zone VI stablizer or Zone VI Compensating Enlarger Timer would this still be true?

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    If you use the Zone VI stablizer or Zone VI Compensating Enlarger Timer would this still be true?
    My guess would be no... That you'd probably not have to even think about it... It would print till it gets the correct amount of light and then shut off.

(That's only my guess though from what I know about the timer)

joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Symchyshyn
    My guess would be no... That you'd probably not have to even think about it... It would print till it gets the correct amount of light and then shut off.

(That's only my guess though from what I know about the timer)

joe
    Thanks Joe,

Thats what I thought. I picked up a compensating timer on ebay last month, but haven't had a chance to try it on my V/C head yet.

Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin