Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,901   Online: 1080

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

VC head

Not true about the compensating timer. This is one instance when the timer is NOT in control. I have the head hooked up to the timer and you must still pre-warm the head each time before printing. It's no big deal. I just turn it on at the start of the printing session to get it going. Then afterward all you need to do is hit the switch for the time it takes to write the info on the back of the next sheet of paper. I have the exact settings for each grade given to me by Calumet. Alan Ross was the person who did the calculations. While not exact for all papers,lenses,etc, this info is good enough to get someone in the ballpark instead of fiddling with the dials. I am not home right now or I would put the settings up here. If anyone wants them they can PM me.
    Regards Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peters
    I have the exact settings for each grade given to me by Calumet. Alan Ross was the person who did the calculations. While not exact for all papers,lenses,etc, this info is good enough to get someone in the ballpark instead of fiddling with the dials. I am not home right now or I would put the settings up here. If anyone wants them they can PM me.
    Regards Peter
    Thanks for the info Peter.

I have chart from Calumet:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/resource...vicontrast.pdf

But it was done by John Siebert. I would be interested in seeing the one done by Alan Ross.

Thanks,

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Tables

Jim-I'm just out of town right now so I have no way to make the comparison to the adobe printout. I can get to it on monday.
    Regards Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Tables

Jim-finally had a look at the Calumet chart you posted. Way over my head.Here is what I was given:
    00 H Off
    0 H A+1/2
    1/2 G+1/2 B+1/2
    1 F+1/2 C
    1+1/2 F+1/2 D
    2 E D+1/2
    2+1/2 D E
    3 C+1/2 F
    3+1/2 B+1/2 F+1/2
    4 B+1/2 G+1/2
    4+1/2 A H
    5 Off Max
    This chart will get anyone into the ballpark to begin. One issue is that the head doesn't have the greatest output so I proof for grade 1.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Tables Continued

Try to keep your negative densities up a little higher for this lamp that way you will not be stuck trying to use the 4.5 and 5 settings too much. I want to go back and clarify something about the compensating timer. Last week I made several (10) contact prints under the lamp. It is my observation that once the lamp is heated up the timer can do its work but I ALWAYS hit the lamp ON button while I pull the next piece of paper.The timer did its work and all the prints were matched densities. If anyone is using a V-54 lamp and the zone-VI timer you must always leave the lamp OFF for twice the time that is used to expose. The timer will NOT compensate for the lamp being heated up. So just process each sheet and by the time you finish the lamp will have cooled off.
    The chart I posted is just a guideline-no 2 brands of paper print the same but by proofing with a 1 filter I have learned to compensate very quickly among brands.Hope this helps out and save someone Time!
    Regards Peter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin