Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,655   Online: 1037

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Been using SS for 35 years -- love them. Just developed 18 rolls of 120 film -- no mess-ups, no problems, easy to clean and dry, just 4 parts (reel, tank, lid and cap), and the tanks pick up or give up heat quickly for getting chems to temp.

YMMD
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It depends, i have Paterson tank and also Jobo 1500 tank and one stainless steel tank, the best tank i use is that Jobo one then the stainless steel tank, the faster reel is that for the SS tank then the Jobo Hewes SS, for plastic, the Paterson plastic is the easier than the Jobo standard one, but the only combination i use always now is the Jobo plastic tank with Hewes SS reel designed for Jobo 1500.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    There Are A Few Gals Here Also ...

Ron
    According to the Merriam-Webster's Dictionary (North America's most used dictionary) "guys" can be used as a plural noun to refer to both sexes.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stainless steel reels, reel tanks, reel tank lids and covers, sheet film round tank with cage, sheet film hangers, hanger deep tanks, floating lids, covers, deep tank water jacket...

Never a problem. And everything easily cleans up to still look brand new.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    steel exclusively -- got soured on plastic early on because if they are the least bit damp the film sticks and won't slide in -- I tend to let film accumulate and do it in a flurry so have to use a reel, dry it with a towel, use it again...steel dries quickly and if it isn't super dry it doesn't matter, film loads all the same.

Only time I ever had trouble loading steel reels was a coupla years ago when I bought some old Agfa film from Freestyle under the Arista label and it had too much curve to it and it would not load properly. Everything else, for 35-plus years, quick and easy, no problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only steel reels I have ever had any success with are Hewes reels. I destroyed many many rolls with regular steel reels. But that might be just me being uncoordinated

Shooter
    35mm RF
    These any good? I see a lot of people say that only the Hewes reels are worth it in SS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nikkor reels.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	51554

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    The only steel reels I have ever had any success with are Hewes reels. I destroyed many many rolls with regular steel reels. But that might be just me being uncoordinated
    me too.

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have tried and tried with SS reels and could never load them (even in the light). Paterson reels are simple and reliable to load.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Swensson View Post
    These any good? I see a lot of people say that only the Hewes reels are worth it in SS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nikkor reels.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	51554
    Nikor reels are good. So are Kindermann and Hewes. Those are three reliable sources of well-made stainless steel reels.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin