Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,795   Online: 1188

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Maximize your counter tops as suggested and have shelves underneath. It would be best to sink the top and have a drain so any spills can be handled so you would have essentially a deep sink albeit without running water. All could be made with plywood and painted with marine polyester. Be sure to seal the joints before painting. Strips of moulding works well --- enlist the shop class. Consider some type of a ventilation system and a way to blackout the doors. An easy way is to get blackout fabric and attach it to dowel sticks top and bottom and can be attached above the doors to "L" hooks so they can be removed when not in use. Fiberglass screens work well for drying prints. A decent safelight and a time should be on your list. You might be able to pickup items from someone or a lab that has gone digital.

Just some quick ideas I'm sure you will get many suggestions.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I were to setup a sink draining into a 5 gallon bucket would that be large enough to deal with the volume of a developing session (or 5...)?

This is for the photography club. It's not a class. If I could find a plumber there is an extremely slight chance that the principal would let me alter the school's plumbing, but I'm not hopeful. We averaged 8-12 students on a regular basis this year, who knows if a darkroom would increase or decrease that number. The hope, obviously, is that it will increase...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you go the bucket route add a water alarm to the rim - might save some mopping up

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My guess is once your first few students start talking to others enthusiastically about how kewl it is and showing off there images... others will want to join.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Might as well set it up and use it and not hoard it. There is no better time than today. If not today, put it back onto craigslist or this forum, others may need such equipment you are not using, when the time comes, I'm sure you will be able to find another set.
    Not hoarding, just waiting. Out of these 3 there will also be one for my future son-in-law as soon as they settle in a bigger place. Oh, and there is no shortage of equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the input so far! I am liking the pinhole project idea. In fact, I got inspired and built a Populist the other day.

I am also seeing the wisdom in using the larger room as the darkroom.

One question, though: If I have more than one enlarger, how does one use them in a dark room? It seems to me if someone is developing at one end of the room and someone else throws the enlarger on at the other you'd have problems...

Another thought about using the larger room as the darkroom. The sink is about where the 18' notation is on my diagram. Maybe it would be easier to get plumbing run if it was just through the wall? Not sure about that one...

Thanks for the ideas, I hope you'll keep them coming!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My darkroom is without running water so I know exactly what you're going through. Doesn't have to be a struggle.

I develop my B&W papers in trays, and my color papers in daylight tubes by the sink. I have to be very carefully with my trays to not spill them as the're obviously not in a sink. If I do end up dumping one, even worse as there is obviously not a convenient source of water for clean-up.

For rinses, I bring my water in with me, and I take it back out. After fixing, my print goes in one bucket for a quick rinse, and then sometimes another depending on how much printing I am doing. If only a couple prints, there's enough water in one bucket to suffice for me. Well, for RC prints, it's good enough for me. Out of the water bath and into the dryer. Fiber takes a walk with me to a water source. But I don't usually bother with fiber.

I have 5G pails. You can pick them up at any hardware store for around $5. But I use large square kitty litter buckets for my water. They're a perfectly comfortable weight to carry when filled.

Most of my film gets developed in daylight tanks. Only 8x10 sheet film goes in trays. Either way, they have to make their way to a sink for a good rinse, and better the sink as opposed to buckets of water that after filling them up, eventually have to be brought back out to be dumped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneStevenson View Post
    My darkroom is without running water so I know exactly what you're going through. Doesn't have to be a struggle.

I develop my B&W papers in trays, and my color papers in daylight tubes by the sink. I have to be very carefully with my trays to not spill them as the're obviously not in a sink. If I do end up dumping one, even worse as there is obviously not a convenient source of water for clean-up.

For rinses, I bring my water in with me, and I take it back out. After fixing, my print goes in one bucket for a quick rinse, and then sometimes another depending on how much printing I am doing. If only a couple prints, there's enough water in one bucket to suffice for me. Well, for RC prints, it's good enough for me. Out of the water bath and into the dryer. Fiber takes a walk with me to a water source. But I don't usually bother with fiber.

I have 5G pails. You can pick them up at any hardware store for around $5. But I use large square kitty litter buckets for my water. They're a perfectly comfortable weight to carry when filled.

Most of my film gets developed in daylight tanks. Only 8x10 sheet film goes in trays. Either way, they have to make their way to a sink for a good rinse, and better the sink as opposed to buckets of water that after filling them up, eventually have to be brought back out to be dumped.
    That's some great info. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If there is a sink on the other side of the wall, tying into it from the darkroom shouldn't be a big problem.

As for enlarging while other things happen, unless someone is doing sheet film in open trays, the only time complete darkness is needed is when loading reels. That could be done in a changing bag, or just by timing and cooperation. If you can add a couple of partition walls you could make a closet sized space in the darkroom for film changing.

However, processing the film under safelights while someone is enlarging could be a bit of a challenge anyway since it will make it a little tough to read labels and graduates, but it's doable.

The ideal darkroom would be split into two parts, one for film, the other for enlarging, but we're not dealing with "ideal" here, and what you have can be made to work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin