Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,187   Online: 887

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

LPL 4550XLG and Heiland Splitgrade

In September I was given an LPL 4550XLG with the Heiland Splitgrade system. I've been using a Beseler 45, with a cold light head, for about 25 years, and wasn't in a hurry to change from a system I knew very well. Today, I moved my 5x7 Omega out, so I could set up the LPL.
    I started with a small 5x7 print I had printed many times. The Splitgrade nailed it the first time. I then switched to a more difficult negative I also had printed many times. Again, the first print matched one I did months ago (It may have been a little better). Next, I plan on trying a negative I've never made an acceptable print from. We'll see how it handles that...
    I'm still referring to the Splitgrade manual as I go, but further use should end that, except for looking up the subtle changes available with the system.
    So far, I'm very impressed with this combo. As the price of paper continues to rise, I expect I'll save a few sheets along the way.
    Anyone else using the Heiland? What do you think of it?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, I don't have a Heiland (I have an X-Rite), but I do have the 4550XLG------I'm responding here to the fact that the LPL and Heiland was given to you, that's a pretty sweet event I would say. Congratulations..............

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. This was quite a score. It also included some other tasty items... a print washer, a bunch of Forte paper, paper safes...
    Like most people, here, I get "You still using film? I have some stuff you can have." Usually, it's a broken point and shoot, a small plastic reel/tank, a few 8x10 trays, etc. The LPL belonged to a friend of my father, who was getting ready to retire and downsize. He likes my work, so the offer was made. Once I knew what he had, I went running. I do owe him some prints, when he and his wife settle in their new place. I'm a bit intimidated, though. There were original Steiglitz, and HCB prints hanging in their home...

I still think my best "score" was my Jobo ATL-2. A friend moved his studio to one without a darkroom. I got the Jobo with a bunch of stuff (including 3 3000 series tanks) for $200.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin